Rear Bumper

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
wmcvey
First Name: William

Rear Bumper

Post by wmcvey »

I'm re-posting this question about the assembly of rear bumper on a 52 4AD roadster.
Trying to figure out the position of the support bar, whether it goes in front or to the rear of the car attachments?
Were spacers used and if anyone has a photo of spacers, which I believe were used on the attachments to the car originally.
I'm also having difficulty with the two end bolts at the end of the bumper / support bar.
The holes don't seem to line up so I think something may be bent.
Attachments
20240607_202759.jpg
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Rear Bumper

Post by mikeyr »

If I remember correctly and no promises of that, there are no spacers. On my car I THINK the spring bracket went next to the bumper but I have also seen it where the spring bracket went behind the upright and the bumper on the outside. In other words that bent up vertical bracket was between bumper and spring bracket.

I do remember I had difficulty putting it together, but that was 40 years ago and I did not install the middle bolt that holds the spring bracket and bumper together until after I had put on the outer bolts. I will see if I have any good pictures of that area.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm If I remember correctly and no promises of that, there are no spacers. On my car I THINK the spring bracket went next to the bumper but I have also seen it where the spring bracket went behind the upright and the bumper on the outside. In other words that bent up vertical bracket was between bumper and spring bracket.

I do remember I had difficulty putting it together, but that was 40 years ago and I did not install the middle bolt that holds the spring bracket and bumper together until after I had put on the outer bolts. I will see if I have any good pictures of that area.
I came up with my own solution on getting this bumper attached, it looks like my support bracket was definitely out of shape from original. And the bumper itself could have been straightened some by the person that I hire to do the Chrome work. Because things were definitely not fitting together correctly.
And I do believe the vertical bracket on the car going between the the spring bracket and the bumper is how it was originally from the factory.
But there was absolutely no way that was going to work with my parts, as there was definitely not enough space between the spring bracket and bumper to ever accommodate the vertical bracket, at least on one side. So mine ended up being all on the outside and I still had to use bushings as spacers to get bolts to line up with holes without re-drilling anything. I'll post some pictures shortly to show my solution.
52 Singer 4AD
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

My solution with the parts on hand, and without additional drilling was to use bushings, I choose brass.
Attachments
20240614_194801.jpg
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

you know the best part is that it works and no one will ever know that is not original. Well 2 or 3 people might, but even they will say, it works, its good to go.

Collin on the pre-war side of this forum once told me "if it looks right to you, its right"

I like your solution, it looks right.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT