muffler?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Steve

muffler?

Post by Steve »

I installed a muffler on my 53 4AD and found it to be a little loud. I had to go to 1 1/2 inch tailpipe material since the muffler shop could not bend 1 inch. Does anyone have any suggestions, or what you have used?

thanks
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: muffler?

Post by mikeyr »

The stock original muffler is still available, why not use that one ?

It's a Walker muffler part No. 21035 and its a standard FORD/Massey Ferguson tractor muffler, as I remember the difference is that the new muffler is 1/8" of an inch shorter or longer (I forget which but its only 1/8") than the Singer muffler, perfect fit and nice sound. Should cost about $40 at your local NAPA store.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Steve

Re: muffler?

Post by Steve »

Thanks, will check it out and see if it is any different then what I have now. What I put on was a muffler from a Alice Chalmers tractor that I found at a farm supply store. It was almost the same dimensions except it had 1 1/2" inlet and outlet. I have never heard a Singer running before so maybe this is what they are supposed to sound like. A group of MG T's came through town the other day and they were not as loud.