Petrol gauge repair

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
jkdelphi
First Name: Kenneth

Petrol gauge repair

Post by jkdelphi »

1953 4ADT 1500 Roadster:
My petrol gauge has not been working and I've found that there are a couple of the fine coil wires broken. In searching, I've found that the workings of the MGA fuel gauge & diagram look practically identical (except for the dash mount). Does anyone know for certain if the sending unit is 70 Ohms as the MGA gauge is? I may attempt to solder/repair the broken connections but it would still need to be calibrated. Would I be better off replacing components? So, if the MGA would work, Imight rather do that. I'm open to suggestions.
Ken Kavanagh
BRG
First Name: Dave

Re: Petrol gauge repair

Post by BRG »

Ken,

If you have the gas tank sender out you can check the gauge by hooking up a 12V battery and wiring it up to the gauge & sender. Then work the sender from empty to 1/4 , 1/2 ,3/4 & full and check the gauge. I do not have info on the ohmage of the Singer sender. I open it up to our Singerites.
BRG
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
jkdelphi
First Name: Kenneth

Re: Petrol gauge repair

Post by jkdelphi »

Thanks,
I'll see if I can solder the broken wires back correctly and then use your suggestion to recalibrate the gauge. I would still like to know that Ohms from the sending unit detail as a fall back position if I am unsuccessful.
Ken