Aluminium/aluminum bonnet/hood

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
trialanderror
First Name: Graham

Aluminium/aluminum bonnet/hood

Post by trialanderror »

Hi all
Just to be transatlantic friendly and so that there is no mistranslation I have given a bilingual title to the post!
I bought an aluminium bonnet from Hardwicks, much nicer than the old steel one which didn't fit. I'm all set to paint it BUT the long pin that goes down the length of the piano hinges is mild steel.
I forsee 2 issues, the steel rusting and electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium hinge. Painting the inside of the holes on the bonnet side of the hinges will likely stop the rod from fitting and driving the rod back down the holes will no doubt take the paint off.
I think I will replace the steel rods with acetal plastic ones. They have a low friction surface and will be inert.
Am I being stupid or a genius, comments welcome.
Graham
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: Aluminium/aluminum bonnet/hood

Post by jeans_old_man »

Sounds like a plan! I assume the bonnet is to replace the original steel panels rather than the aluminium ones fitted to the’35 models (which had separate brass hinge). Stainless steel might be an alternative.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I think you are overthinking this but yes genius. There will be issues with the steel and aluminum but it will take decades to be a real issue. Unless you store the car in a very humid environment, just a little (very little coating) bit of grease on the steel rod will stop corrosion for a very long time, eventually having to redo the grease or the corrosion will start. But the opening and closing of the hood/bonnet will clean it up each time. Before plastic, I would go with Brian's suggestion of Brass myself.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

I need to check but I think MG T Types use brass rods for the side hinges even though the bonnets are steel. I have a couple in the barn so I could give you the diameter if that was useful.
jeans_old_man

Post by jeans_old_man »

Brass? No, the ‘35 has a separate brass hinge with silver steel rod. There are no side hinges as the bonnet is made from only two pieces.

I suspect brass rod will be an expensive option. Stainless steel will be cheaper. I think the diameter is 1/4”.
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

I was only talking about the rod Brian not the form of the bonnet. :D
jeans_old_man

Post by jeans_old_man »

No problem Colin. I am not familiar with steel bonnets. I remember the one off my 1.5 Sports was very heavy when I sent it to Nigel for painting. Aluminium sounds like a great idea.

I bought a whole sheet of brass in the 1970s and don’t remember it being very expensive. However I was shocked to see how dear it is now.
trialanderror
First Name: Graham

Post by trialanderror »

Thanks all
Still weighing up the options,
Graham