Where to get parts

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
stuizzy
First Name: Stuart

Where to get parts

Post by stuizzy »

Just purchased a 4ad SM 1500 roadster, got the engine running yesterday! I am based in the USA and am looking for a recommendation on where to get parts. In particular

oil seals for front and rear axles
Front rear brake shoes
Brake master rebuild kit
Brake cylinder rebuild kits
Front brake hoses
Clutch master/slave rebuild kits

That should keep me busy!

Stuart connell
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Where to get parts

Post by mikeyr »

stuizzy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:39 am oil seals for front and rear axles

For the front oil seal, I just went to a bearing shop (king bearing) and they measured it up and got them for me, pretty standard size. The rear seals are not standard, you will have to machine a "insert" to press into the housing to allow you to use a standard seal.

Front rear brake shoes

Just get your old shoes relined.

Brake master rebuild kit

Good question, I have the part number somewhere but it's been years since they were available. https://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk has new ones but warning, they are just not expensive, they are STUPID expensive. I bought all new parts for my 1934 Singer and the parts were perfect. They do list the 4AD/SM1500. I would instead send it out for sleeving to brake sleeving company and have them size the internals to standard seals.

Brake cylinder rebuild kits

Just buy new ones from Moss or favorite British car parts source, Austin Healey used same brake cylinders, I forget the model but I think it was early 100's

Front brake hoses

Same as brake cylinders but they will be about 1" longer.

Clutch master/slave rebuild kits

4AD had mechanical Clutch Master/Slave, no hydraulics

Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT