Connecting Rod for 1951 4AD Roadster

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
wmcvey
First Name: William

Connecting Rod for 1951 4AD Roadster

Post by wmcvey »

Looking for a "Connecting rod" for my 51 Singer 1500cc motor that's from a 4AD Singer. My shop is telling me one of my rods has a slight twist to it and they're not wanting to use that particular one in the rebuild. Does anyone have any extra connecting rods, I only need one at the min. Or would anyone know where I might find one, thanks. Bill
Attachments
20230801_111713.jpg
20230801_111708.jpg
52 Singer 4AD
wmcvey

Re: Connecting Rod for 1951 4AD Roadster

Post by wmcvey »

No response yet? Does anyone not have parts for a 1497 CC Singer engine, that may have an extra connecting rod?
Last edited by wmcvey on Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I was hoping by now you had found something by now. I am going on vacation and when I get back next week, i will see what I can do. I have a few motors that still have their crankshafts in them, so they still have their pistons and rods BUT the pistons are long seized up in the blocks which means no way to get the rods out easily. I will pour some diesel in the bores and see if I can hammer out a piston or 2. Too bad you are not closer, I would just give you a block and let you worry about getting them out :)
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:25 pm I was hoping by now you had found something by now. I am going on vacation and when I get back next week, i will see what I can do. I have a few motors that still have their crankshafts in them, so they still have their pistons and rods BUT the pistons are long seized up in the blocks which means no way to get the rods out easily. I will pour some diesel in the bores and see if I can hammer out a piston or 2. Too bad you are not closer, I would just give you a block and let you worry about getting them out :)
Thank you for replying and your offer for help, it's much appreciated. My rebuild is at a standstill till I can get past this hurdle. The motor's been completely rebuilt. New pistons and rings, the block's been board out, all new bearings, head completely rebuild, camshaft refurbish, rockers refurbished. And now during reassembly, turns out one of the connecting rods is ever so slightly bent. So needless to say your help would be most definitely appreciated.
I guess you're in S.Cal, so definitely too far to drive to pick up that block. Otherwise I would have definitely jump at the opportunity. But if you can manage to get one or two of those pistons loose, I would love one or two of the connecting rods for the 1497cc roadster motor. Just let me know how much you'd want for them, and whatever shipping cost is as well. I'd really appreciate it, and look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks, Bill
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

No news...but I poured some diesel into the cylinders to try and free up the pistons,will hammer on them this weekend and see if I can get a rod or 2 for you.
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

I didn't get the pistons out, soaking them some more. Had a unplanned, unscheduled welding class on the weekend and also some prep time for our weather (after the earthquake), but the good news is that the oil I put in the other day went down which hopefully means the pistons will come out next time I pound on them. Just letting you know I didn't forget you.
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 pm I didn't get the pistons out, soaking them some more. Had a unplanned, unscheduled welding class on the weekend and also some prep time for our weather (after the earthquake), but the good news is that the oil I put in the other day went down which hopefully means the pistons will come out next time I pound on them. Just letting you know I didn't forget you.
Thank you for keeping me updated, I appreciate that. And good luck with the tropical storm and earthquake. I know you guys are having everything at once over there. Bill
52 Singer 4AD
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 pm I didn't get the pistons out, soaking them some more. Had a unplanned, unscheduled welding class on the weekend and also some prep time for our weather (after the earthquake), but the good news is that the oil I put in the other day went down which hopefully means the pistons will come out next time I pound on them. Just letting you know I didn't forget you.
Just wanted to give you a heads up that I did find another connecting rod from the UK Singer Club that may be promising. Won't know for sure until I get it in the hands of the shop doing the work, and gets it installed. Just wanted to let you know so you can put that on the back burner for now. Bill
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

cool, the pistons didn't move over the weekend, I was going to take the block to work and use the hydraulic press but its a university not a machine shop so while we have a press in the foundry part of the Arts area, its not something I can get to everyday. Let me know...
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:40 am cool, the pistons didn't move over the weekend, I was going to take the block to work and use the hydraulic press but its a university not a machine shop so while we have a press in the foundry part of the Arts area, its not something I can get to everyday. Let me know...
It seems like the connecting rod from the UK will work for us. But I'll keep you in mind if there's something else comes up missing from this engine,
It was all taken apart at a friend's house and then transported to my place, and then I moved and everything moved a second time.
But I do have a question about a couple parts on a engine diagram that the text don't seem to reference.
Plate-1, part number #121 on the very top, not sure what this is?
Plate-2, part number #55 can't find this part either. Any help with identification?
Attachments
Singer-plate-2.jpg
Singer-plate-1.jpg
Last edited by wmcvey on Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

I thought 121 was part 45 on Plate 2 but obviously I am wrong, let me poke around my junk pile.

part 56 on plate 2 connects to that wonderful little oil line that likes to rub against the timing chain and get holes rubbed into it, part 42 is where it connects to. Simple oil line, although what confuses me is the backend seems to have no connection in the drawing, I can take a pic if it's on one of my heads. And its NOT :)

What LOOKS like it might be part 55 in the photo is the vacumm line from the manifold, I should have gotten it out the way.
Attachments
IMG_6139.jpeg