grille ratles

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
ken murray
First Name: ken

grille ratles

Post by ken murray »

Hi, After squiring a singer 4AB recently I was amazed at the noise from the front grill, reading the available notes mainly by the Late Bill Haverly about the fixing positions of the vertical slats, I think the replaced or re positioned ( I only have 10 slats ) slats of mine were fixed at the bottom also at the mid height location. and the top of the slats were free, consequently driving along the free section of the slats were vibrating and rattling due to the wind, this was creating noise like a stream of tin cans tied to a string, as a trial and temporary measure i squeezed a small piece of sponge between each slat and the frame, the difference was amazing it is like a different car, quite pleasant and I can hear the engine now,
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: grille ratles

Post by mikeyr »

good solution, I have never had the problem on my cars but I have heard of it so I wonder what the real cause is. I never could research it since my cars didn't do it, but I had a friend in Texas and he just welded everything up nice and solid to get rid of the noise. Your solution seems far less damaging and also much easier.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT