Manifold fuel drips

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
nth
First Name: Neil

Manifold fuel drips

Post by nth »

The Inlet manifold fuel drip pipes to prevent flooding on my car were made by Messrs Bodgit and Run!
One had just departed company on the road while having a lovely run out.

The other is pipe soldered to an old drilled bolt and 20"+.long

What should the parts be?

Thanks
neil
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: Manifold fuel drips

Post by jeans_old_man »

Well this is a coincidence. I have just been criticised on facebook for blanking off the drain holes on my '9'. I have looked through my photos and notice that most engines have the drains blanked off. I have driven over 65,000 miles in my '35 four seater and don't recall having a problem with flooding so i will be leaving the blanking plugs in place.
20180421_163848 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy (4).jpg
nth

Post by nth »

I was tempted to do so - now I certainly will blank off!
Thanks
Neil
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Can't talk about the pre-war cars in this case, but i will anyway. On my Twin Carb 4AD that I owned for 34 years, I was told the tubes were to prevent vapor lock and were needed because the USA has areas that are normally hotter than the UK. I can see where they might prevent flooding but I was never told of that reason. They never leaked fuel on my car and the car ran fine BOTH with the pipes removed and plugged or the pipes assembled on the manifold. It seemed to make no difference in the running or drive-ability of the car either way. I finally plugged them and left it that way, I crossed Death Valley in 100+F (39-41C) days with no issues when vapor lock should have happened in those temps. The only issue was that without a top on the car I was melting and don't fold the windshield down on a day like that, the 100+ degree wind alone will sunburn your lips right off your face after an hour while the sun burns the rest of you.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
nth

Post by nth »

Dismantled old ppes ready to block off and found a smal quantity of fuel so made new pipes 7" long with crimped ends to just allow a weep or gas flow. Now to tune as induction air leak gone!

drips.jpg