Telescopic shock absorbers (dampers)

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Telescopic shock absorbers (dampers)

Post by jeans_old_man »

Has anybody considered modern telescopic dampers for the rear of their car? I need a complete set of four Hartfords for my 1.5L Sports and paying over £250 each for the rear seems a lot when hydraulics would perform much better and cost about a tenth the price. The only question is which ones to choose - mini, jaguar, Volvo?
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Telescopic shock absorbers (dampers)

Post by mikeyr »

not really what you are looking for, but I did see a SS100 at a car show about 20 years ago that had been converted from friction shocks to Armstrong hydraulic levers, I would think they would be the easiest to convert to. Although I know on my 4AD the shocks left a lot to be desired, a proper shock would be best. My immediate concern would be the space required for regular telescopic shocks, they can be quite long. And of course the cosmetics on the front where you can see the shock.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

I was only considering converting the rear but looking at the Hartford that came with the car I dont think there is enough room for a telescopic - even if the bottom bracket is extended downwards. The Armstongs look like more trouble than they are worth so I will probanly bite the bullet and go for new Hartfords.
damper.jpg
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

You can use also a pair from an old Morris Minor, they are not far from the ones who are mounted on the 4A Roadsters..
Singer 4A 1950