New Owner - quick question about shop manual

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
jholmgren
First Name: Jim

New Owner - quick question about shop manual

Post by jholmgren »

Good morning all,
New owner of a 1952 4AD. I'm planning to write up a longer intro with pics, etc. so stay tuned for that. Typically when I get my hands on a new LBC, the first order of business is to get my hands on a shop manual. I've been searching about and believe I have found a source for one. I've been into LBCs for a little over 20 years, but Kip Motors is not a name I'm familiar with - most of my LBCs have been more "mainstream" models (Spitfires, TR's, AH Sprite, etc) so I haven't needed to find more rare parts purveyors.
https://www.king-cart.com/kipmotor/cate ... atch=exact

In searching the forum I see other mentions of Kip Motors, so I assume they are a trustworthy source. Before I click the "buy" button, are there any other sources I should consider?

Thanks!
Jim
p.s. - here is a link to the couple of pictures I've been able to take so far.
http://littlebluespitfire.com/piwigo/in ... tegory/171
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: New Owner - quick question about shop manual

Post by mikeyr »

As far as I know, there was no shop manual created for the 4AD, there is 4A manual with a addendum for the 4AD due to the very different motor but none dedicated to the 4AD. Or a Hunter manual with the SM1500 addendum, the SM1500 shared the engine with the 4AD. So the Hunter with SM1500 would be my choice, but WOW that is expensive.

START HERE https://www.singercars.com/wp-content/u ... trader.pdf Its the only thing I had when I built my 4AD back in the 70s

I have been meaning to scan some manuals that I have but that means taking them apart, maybe its time if KIP can get that much for them, to scan them and put them on the main website for free.

And to answer your question, KIP is legit. Anything KIP has, you can probably find elsewhere far cheaper (read they are expensive) but they have a lot of Singer stuff and they are legit.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

Hey thanks Mike, appreciate the response. I did find that PDF you linked to and figured it's not a bad start. I'm certain to drive everyone here a bit nuts with a lot of questions as I go along.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

well hold on to. your seat...work is getting a book scanner in a few weeks. I might have to test that new book scanner by scanning Singer books.

But that Motor Trader is all I had when I purchased my basket case 4AD and didn't have anything else until after it was running and on the road, it was pre-internet days and I didn't even know there was a club back then, luckily parts were available down the street. Rebuilt the motor with new parts right off the shelf...those were the good old days.
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

Awesome Mike - I'll hold onto my... seat. :D

Luckily, I have another project car in the queue ahead of the Singer, so I'm in no big rush. In the meantime, I'll tinker with the Singer to fix some of the simple and obvious things along the way since it does run/drive and I'd like to get it out on the road in the spring.
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

James...I would take a look at

https://www.singercars.com/singer-manuals/

:)
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Wow Mike! What a fantastic resource. You have excelled yourself. Well done!
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

mikeyr wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:48 am James...I would take a look at

https://www.singercars.com/singer-manuals/

:)
Wow! Isn't that a piece of awesome work - great way to start my day! Thank you!

Jim
mikeyr
Site Admin

Post by mikeyr »

Hopefully, these will get put to good use, most of them have been gathering dust for decades at my house. I was buying them off ebay before it was the thing to do, I didn't even own the cars but was buying anyway. I bought 2 of the pre-war books from Hardwick back in 1981 when I visited him, I didn't even own a pre-war car until years later.

Of course, I had to test out the book scanner and make sure it worked before installing it here at work :)

Sorry to make you waste so many sheets of paper to print them, unless you are like my son-in-law, I also scanned Austin-Cooper stuff and he prefers it on his tiny little phone instead of paper.
jholmgren

Post by jholmgren »

Good use of paper! I'm in IT by profession but I'm "of a certain age " so I do like my shop manuals in paper format. Saves from getting grease all over my phone and I can make notes if needed.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Jim