Transmission rubber cover

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
wmcvey
First Name: William

Transmission rubber cover

Post by wmcvey »

I know an original rubber transmission cover (see below) can't be found.
But does anyone know of an aftermarket one, maybe made of fiberglass or something.
transmission_cover.jpg
transmission_cover.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
transmission_cover2.jpg
transmission_cover2.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
52 Singer 4AD
Cincy singer 9a
First Name: Bruce

Re: Transmission rubber cover

Post by Cincy singer 9a »

My rugs belly up to my stick, showing only the nicely polished bright bottom with the gear number positions. Looks good without a rubber boot. You might have to make a hump framework to shape the rug nicely. Make sure you do get your rug as close to the pedals as possible as mine left too much hole and heat blows up from there. Now a nice rubber boot would work well there.

Bruce.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Transmission rubber cover

Post by mikeyr »

any one know what ever happened to the mould to make the fiberglass ones ? Corey made it 3 decades ago, I had it for a while and gave it back to Corey some time before he passed away. I don't know where it ended up after I gave it back to him, but the rule was pass it on, don't destroy it.

Anyway, to answer your question, there never has been a rubber cover reproduction, there has been fiberglass ones. Without the mould, the best you can do is use thin cardboard and bend and tape it up, then put a layer of fiberglass on that, that has been done. I would do it by covering the tranny with a 1/2" thick foam, to give you a smooth shape and also give clearance for all the parts, then cardboard, then glass.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT