Parts supplier recommendations on a 52 4AD

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
wmcvey
First Name: William

Parts supplier recommendations on a 52 4AD

Post by wmcvey »

Having a mechanic friend help me with getting my 52 Singer 4AD up and running. He has some experience with restoring another British car, a Morgan. But never had even seen a Singer until seeing mine. And already has a question on parts supplier (preferably in the US) if possible, on three categories of items. First the "carburetor", where a rebuild kit can be had, or a replacement carb if needed ? Second, ignition kit (plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, points etc.) or maybe if going with a electronic distributor ? And lastly, a fuel pump and fuel tank sender, again if needed. Where would be some good suppliers of these items. Thanks for everyone's help up to this point, the forum and you dedicated members are indispensable.
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Parts supplier recommendations on a 52 4AD

Post by mikeyr »

Dave Green will be able to help with all that.

Ignition is pretty standard stuff for old British cars and should not be hard to find (it was easy when I owned my 4AD a long time ago). The carburetor parts, any decent VW tuning shop will have the jets, etc. Gaskets you may have to make yourself, but again any decent VW shop should have them, the carbs were a very popular upgrade on VW bug/dune buggies in the 60-70's. Fuel pump, any pump will do BUT make sure of the correct fuel pressure, most pumps are too high and will flood your carburators, you need low preessure pumps. Dave should have all the part numbers.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey
First Name: William

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm Dave Green will be able to help with all that.

Ignition is pretty standard stuff for old British cars and should not be hard to find (it was easy when I owned my 4AD a long time ago). The carburetor parts, any decent VW tuning shop will have the jets, etc. Gaskets you may have to make yourself, but again any decent VW shop should have them, the carbs were a very popular upgrade on VW bug/dune buggies in the 60-70's. Fuel pump, any pump will do BUT make sure of the correct fuel pressure, most pumps are too high and will flood your carburators, you need low preessure pumps. Dave should have all the part numbers.
Thanks so much for the reply and all the info, it will be a big help. I also sent Dave a DM with a lick to this thread for any input he could offer. Thanks again.
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

It takes a bit of time but I know from own experience, the best way is find the part numbers in the catalogues.
For mine it was easy, the 4A had the same distributor as the Sidevalve Morris, who is also in my barn, but just the other direction running.
That means contact points are the same, ground plates and other parts, only some small parts not.

The Sollex FA102 carb for the 4A was easy to find, head gaskets also, it just takes some time to find the part numbers.
And when you have these, use Ebay for the next steps
Singer 4A 1950