Junior Diff Plug

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Mike57
First Name: Michael

Junior Diff Plug

Post by Mike57 »

I am having a hard time stopping the diff plug on my Junior from dripping oil. I started with a fibre washer and then teflon tape and then both of these. I then tried Three Bond (a silcon gasket type sealant)and now I am using a copper crush washer. The crush washer is the best result so far but it still leaks. I am told this is a common problem. i am thinking of looking around for some better thread sealing compund. What tricks have others used to stop it leaking? (and in case anyone asks it is tight, first tightened using the two holes in the plug and then followed up with vice grips).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards

Mike
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Re: Junior Diff Plug

Post by telco.2 »

Many years ago when running a '31 Junior I had the same problem. I changed over to a brass plug with a hexagon so I could get a socket on it. I used a copper washer under this and ...problem sorted.
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Hmmm. So maybe I just need to get it tighter.
Regards

Mike
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

are both parts steel ? if the plug you are using is brass, it could be as simple as its worn down a little and a new one would solve the problem. If they are both steel...well, I have no ideas
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

I couldn't get the steel one tight enough no matter what I did. Like you Mike I tried pipe grips & Mole grips but it still dripped!
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Yes it is a steel plug. Just put the vice grips on it again and it is still leaking. So sounds like a brass plug is the answer. I will have to get one made.
Regards

Mike
david.bryant
First Name: David

Post by david.bryant »

Did you try an annealed copper washer? Checked around for cracks?
Regards
David
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

I have never had an issue - I use a soft copper washer.
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

I have been using a copper washer, not sure how it was made but they do "squash" ok. Not yet checked for cracks on the diff housing but it is on my list. Currently experimenting with an "O" ring which seems to be working (so far).
Regards

Mike