just a suggestion, take lots of pictures

A place for you to make suggestions on improvements, etc.
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

just a suggestion, take lots of pictures

Post by mikeyr »

When I first restored my 4AD back in the early 1970's, I set up a camera on a tripod and took pictures, just a few per day since those were the days of film, but I did shoot B&W and developed my own pictures so the price was reasonable. Although I didn't take too long to restore the car and my mind was 4 decades fresher, I usually didn't need the pictures to re-assemble the car, it was still good to have them for the questionable stuff.

Now as you all know, I took apart my Le Mans just a teeny tiny bit longer than a week ago, but I am so glad that when I took it apart I set up a camera on a tripod and took hundreds of pictures, almost a 1,000 of them, I literally took a bolt off and took a pic, being in the digital age, it was free so why not.

Now that I am back on my LM I am trying to figure where parts go and since as I mentioned its been more than a week ago that I took it apart, I sometimes struggle with where does this go ? luckily I did keep things in "piles" so for example all my body brackets were in one pile, but I ended up with 2 brackets that I absolutely could not figure out where they went...found them in the pictures and it makes sense I could not find them since the wood is all gone now. Not sure I would have figured it out with the pictures.
DSC01052.JPG

Same with this bracket, I had NO idea where it went, it was in the "chassis" pile with some odd and ends from the "brakes" pile, but I spent several hours trying different locations and for some reason I thought it went on the firewall, there is a similar bracket on a 4AD that holds the horn so it just seemed right but it came from the wrong pile of stuff. Pictures to the rescue, see it ? its behind the brake master cylinder, holding the cylinder to the frame.
P0000366.JPG
]
IMG_2733.jpeg
Those 3 brackets on the frame are the ones I could not figure out, the pile of rust in the middle of the chassis are the body brackets I have to clean up for the new body.

We all take things apart and think "I will remember", well life happens and it takes a few decades before you really get back into the Singer world and you will have forgotten, take pictures, with things digital now, its FREE. That is it...that is my free tip of the day :)
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: just a suggestion, take lots of pictures

Post by mikeyr »

by the way, yes my nicely painted frame is a major mess....I might re-spray it. I this point its a pretty easy process and will get rid of 2 decades of chips and scratches, I am actually not very happy with the quality of the pain I used, it scratches pretty easily and car has never been on the road, just in the garage.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: just a suggestion, take lots of pictures

Post by jeans_old_man »

Mike. Good to see you re-energised. Looking forward to watching your progress.

As far as chassis paint goes I found that oil based house paint, brushed on, works well and is easily touched up after the inevitable maintenance.