Valve stem seals Le Mans

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ringtrev
First Name: Trevor

Valve stem seals Le Mans

Post by ringtrev »

Hi all have a question.I wish to fit valve stem seals to my 9 le mans and seem to remember from somewhere that Morris Minor ones have been fitted by some? Can any of the resident gurus advise please.Trev :D
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Valve stem seals Le Mans

Post by ColinB »

I'm sorry Trev but I have no idea. You might get more knowledgeable responses from the SOC Facebook page which is a bit livelier than the Forum.
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: Valve stem seals Le Mans

Post by jeans_old_man »

Why would you want to? If you are burning oil and are convinced it's through the valve guides the best solution is to fit new guides. Before you do that make sure you are not pumping too much oil into the rocker cover. There is a restriction in the oil feed pipe in one of the unions. It comprises a solder plug with a small hole drilled in it located in one of the union bolts. I can't remember if it is at the one at the front of the engine or the one near the middle of the camshaft. Also, don't set the oil pressure relief valve too high. A pressure of 30 -40 psi whilst motoring is fine. If you look into the filler cap when the engine is running you should see a dribble of oil rather than a flood and a pool of oil just deep enough for the lobes of the cams to dip into.