34 Le Mans horn assembly

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Joanymalony
First Name: David

34 Le Mans horn assembly

Post by Joanymalony »

Hello

I am struggling to work out how the horn is assembled within the steering wheel boss. I am lucky to have the original boss and horn button as well as plate G as shown in the Hardwick catalogue. What I can't figure out is how the circuit is completed to operate the horn and whether there is a spring to maintain outward pressure on the horn button.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

David
John Simister
First Name: John

Re: 34 Le Mans horn assembly

Post by John Simister »

Here is a picture of all the parts that made up my car's horn switch. So yes, there is a spring.

The wiring goes something like this: live feed to horns, return wire from horns up through the middle of the SLC2 switch and the column, attached to the movable metal part of the horn switch. Pressing the horn button makes that metal part contact the fixed part on the column, completing the circuit. I can't remember exactly how it all goes together, but once you know the principle it suddenly becomes obvious. The fibre insulating washer stops the spring from itself completing the circuit.

Hope that helps

John
Attachments
Horn switch parts.jpg
Joanymalony

Post by Joanymalony »

Hello John

Thank you, yes that is helpful.

On the photograph is there something shown in the centre of the brass part on the left hand side ?

David
John Simister
First Name: John

Post by John Simister »

I think that is solder where the wire was attached before I dismantled it, and where I re-soldered it during reassembly onto my rebuilt steering column. The bare end of the wire goes in the hole in the middle, and is then soldered into position.

John
Joanymalony

Post by Joanymalony »

Thanks John

I understand it now. I will have a go at assembling mine and see what happens

David
cev196
First Name: Abe

Post by cev196 »

Hi, the spring in the above pictures appears different to that on my car, mine is a tapered shape and attached to the horn push with small screw.
Th spring pushes the horn button away from making contact, so the wider part of the spring must be insulated from the larger disc.
I will try and sort some in situe pics tomorrow.
cev196
First Name: Abe

Post by cev196 »

From the Horn contacts pic the feed from the horn passes to the central disc which is isolated by a fiber washer (not sure how this is held together).
The spring rests on this disc and when the horn button is pressed the brass cup makes contact with the larger brass plate(to the outside of the fiber washer).
Hope that helps.
Attachments
Horn Switch cover-1.jpg
Horn contacts-1.jpg
Horn and Switch-1.jpg