Jaeger speedometer

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
cdk84
First Name: David

Re: Jaeger speedometer

Post by cdk84 »

Just as was said some while back by someone more sage than I:

"There's no such thing as too big a job, just tools too small for the job".

Did that come out sounding weird? ( whether yes or no, I still agree with the experience behind the observation )

Cheers,

David

( PS: What's a cool tool! --another another suspect comment? neither one is so intended )
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Just repaired the Jaeger tacho thanks to spare parts from Owdboots on Ebay. It has lain around the garage for 40 years after I swapped the mechanism with the speedo to keep the car legal. It appears that when the escapement stopped, and the camshaft stopped operating, the needle mechanism kept winding up until something broke - in this case the camshaft.
20200524_134437.jpg
You have to admire the engineering that goes into these instruments!
Last edited by jeans_old_man on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Hi Brian,

Couldn't agree with you more. Who created the mechanism that translated that rotational energy into a consistent, modulated and repeatable pulse and converts it into usable data? And who did the math to calculate all the gear wheel specifications?

Wonderful!

I happen to love the chronometric gauges and the way they read, hold, skip to another level and read again. It's neat that this is the type of gauges used in Bugattis of the period. What other fine cars of the era have this kind of mechanism for their tacho and/or speedo? Does anyone know?

Cheers,

David
mothy
First Name: Roland

Post by mothy »

A household fork as in knife, fork and spoon, works well without damage for removing the needle/pointer.

Roly
-----------------------------------------------
Used to own a 1934 Singer Le Mans

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.