battery terminal corrosion.

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

battery terminal corrosion.

Post by ColinB »

The 6 volt battery in my Junior has died and I have another on the way. One feature of the old dead battery was that the terminals would get clogged up with salt deposits even when I removed the negative lead between runs and used a proprietary terminal spray. Any thoughts on how to prevent this with my new battery which is of the same vintage model?
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Re: battery terminal corrosion.

Post by bitsobrits »

Felt "washers" with ID equal to the terminal saturated with engine oil or an anti corrosion formula like ACF 50 or the like is what I've been using for the last few decades with original type lead acid batteries. Usually just needs an annual clean and re-oil.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks Steve. Presumably these go under the connectors?
bitsobrits
First Name: Steve

Post by bitsobrits »

Yes, under the connector. These felt washers were common is U.S. parts stores for decades, until the advent of the side terminal "sealed" batteries. Probably still available on eBay or Amazon, though easy enough to make your own.
Steve W
Singer 4ADT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Many thanks Steve.
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Hello again, Colin, Hi Steve,

If memory serves, the felt washers were chemically treated ( using Benzotriazole, I believe --a chemical used as an anti-fogging agent in particularly active photographic film and sometimes even photo paper developers ). BZTriazole was chosen because its effect on metals, like the lead terminals on battery cable, is similar to its effect on that other electrochemical microcosm, the reactive ionic realm of photographic chemistry.

The felt washers are still readily available in parts stores here in the US, so if you have Any difficulty finding them, please let me know and I will happily source some for you. One of the first things I do when replacing a battery or acquiring a new car is to install a set of these felt washers.

Should you find them closer to Parson Drove, please use rubber gloves when handling the felt: it's not benign with its reaction-retardant infusion.

Very Best,

David