C45 Dynamos

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Danish
First Name: David

C45 Dynamos

Post by Danish »

I am making a concerted effort to get my car on the road this Summer. NOS Solex FAIs and a starter purchased. A C45 dynamo is being refurbished for me but the crucifix that meshes with the distributor drive from the engine in my car is the later type- more robust. I am after the other type to match the green cushion ring. The fingers on the part in the picture seem to measure up but probably isn't the right part! Does anyone have a picture of the part I am searching for from Dave Hardwick's catalogue or the real thing?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 18.51.13.png
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: C45 Dynamos

Post by jeans_old_man »

There are three or four different arrangements as shown in Dave Hardwick's catalogue. It looks like you have the rubber coupling ring and require part L. If your drive shaft (part N) is good it might be worth having the drive dog made. Otherwise, try the the Hardwicks. They should be up and running again in the New Year. Brian
dynamo drive.pdf
(810.71 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Danish

Post by Danish »

Thanks Brian. Hadn't realised there were actually four different types. I now know the drive type I have is 'N'; with a dynamo and cushion drive set up for 'K'. I guess the good news is that the drive set for K and L are described as interchangeable as the diameter of armature shaft is the same. I may have a go machining my cushion drive (I) to the design of the one I need (L), unless there is one lurking in someone's spare cupboard.
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Yes, it looks like you could adapt the dynamo part with a judicious bit of grinding/filing to suit the type N shaft. I have made my cushion ring out of Tufnol which works very well.

I once made one for a friend out of an old mud flap when he broke down during the Scottish Trial. I think it is still running! Brian
Danish

Post by Danish »

My C45 dynamo has been refurnished and I now need to convert my splined 'drive' to the 'cushion ring' type of design for my
distributor set-up. Fortunately, I purchased a new one a few years ago and can use it as the basis for dimensions.
I presume the purpose of the lip on the cushion 'drive' is to prevent the 'ring' from sliding off when in motion?;
with both becoming a perfect fit when they both mate up? But before I machine it up, has anyone got a cushion ring 'drive' to verify
its dimensions- especially the 'step'???
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 09.32.54.png
Last edited by Danish on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cev196
First Name: Abe

Post by cev196 »

David, Here' a drawing of the Crucifix drive from my car (34), there is lip on the dynamo end which is to stop the Cush ring from moving towards the dynamo which has an oil thrower between it and the dynamo.
I note on yours that the casting covers or replaces this.

Again on my car the cush ring is slightly different to the one you show, it has no recess on the dynamo side (I presume it is a DH part). I can confirm the ring is a tight fit on the crucifix, the one shown is a replica of an original one (metal ring on the outside and hard rubber for the drive).
Attachments
Dynamo dive crucifix type 'L' (1).jpg
1933-34 Singer 9 Dynamo dive crucifix type 'L'.jpg
cev196
First Name: Abe

Post by cev196 »

And with the Cush ring
Attachments
Dynamo dive crucifix type 'L' with Cush ring.jpg
Danish

Post by Danish »

Thanks Abe. My cush ring is the same as yours on the blind side. That takes the guess work out of the job! Appreciated.