clutch direction

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
nth
First Name: Neil

clutch direction

Post by nth »

Following the failure of the clutch plate when the rivits sheared off, I'm about to fit a saloon plate with the flexible compound centre to my 1933 sport until an original style plate can be found. Probably after Xmas when the Hardwicks hopefully reopen.
Which way should the clutch plate face? I've no idea if my original was right or not and whether that could have prompted failure.
Thanks
Neil
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: clutch direction

Post by jeans_old_man »

Rivets? Surely these days the linings are bonded on. Just had my brakes relined by Saftek Ltd in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire who bonded them. They did a brilliant job and posted them back to me the next day. Their website says they also do clutches. Check them out - they are not far from you. Brian
nth

Post by nth »

Hi Brian. It's not the facings rivits which are ok but the dozen steel rivits holding the front and back three prong spline 'spiders' to the steel disc. All 12 sheared and left elongated holes and distortion. May have been on the go for ages.
Also replaced the felt wick on the first motion shaft under the clutch spline which was missing and therefore oiled the clutch!
Cheers
Neil
Attachments
clutch.jpg
clutch.jpg (53.23 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Oh dear! I have not seen a clutch with the three (lightening?) holes. They are usually solid. perhaps that was an attempt to give it some flexibility and that might have been the cause of the failure. I can't tell from the photo if the splines are OK but otherwise it looks repairable - perhaps a new disc and some welding to help the rivets. It would be nice to have some cushioning springs though! Sorry I can't be more help. Brian
nth

Post by nth »

Now cushioning springs would be something! The one I'm installing (when I work out which side faces front) has cushioning centre built of rubberised canvas by the look of it. Trouble is it's 80+ years old and could fail.