Singer junior Distributor

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
david.bryant
First Name: David

Singer junior Distributor

Post by david.bryant »

Distributor Front Delco Remy 630A.JPG
Distributor back 630A.JPG
Hi
The distributor I have with the 1930 Singer Junior has a made in USA label from Delco Remy. Model 630A Serial N 12889.
An online search shows the same model distributor, cap, rotor, condenser and points in American vehicles including a Chrysler from 1926-1933. The photo of the points looks the same as mine so I have ordered new cap points and rotor from the US even though they do not list Singer as a car the distributor is fitted into on the Delco Remy tune up parts catalog 1922-1974 that does show other vehicles with the same model number distributor.
I'll let you know once the parts arrive and they fit the supplier I found.

Now the question.
The distributor appears to be bolted into a fixed timing position rather than being variable by the lever on the steering column.
With the bolt stopping rotation removed there is no minimum and maximum timing adjustment stops.
How should these stops be included?
What range should be in the timing?

Regards
David
david.bryant
First Name: David

Re: Singer junior Distributor

Post by david.bryant »

Distributor fly weights.JPG
This was a surprise on further disassembly the model 630A has internal fly weights!

I was expecting a straight through shaft and only advance control by the lever on the steering column. What am I missing?
Regards
David
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

I imagine the original distributor would have been a Rotax David, in the UK at least. So this is either a later replacement or an export version, but I have no idea which.
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

This is a picture of a 1932 Junior distributor taken from The Book of the Singer Junior second edition.
wiring 2.jpg