Singer Junior Project

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
david.bryant
First Name: David

Re: Singer Junior Project

Post by david.bryant »

photo.JPG
Hi
Should the handbrake leaver for the singer Junior be straight out ?
I'm not sure how much of this bend, if any should be in it.
Regards
David
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Mine has a bend too David. Slightly different to yours which looks more like banana whereas mine has a single bend in it - you can see it in the picture below.
assembly 008.JPG
david.bryant

Post by david.bryant »

Thanks Colin
That helps.
I am not sure It is being set up correctly. Are the inside rear brake shoes the handbrake?
Do you have a side view showing the idler arms in the neural (no foot / no hand brake position?
Myy first try has a rear brake ros strike the arc of the handbrake. (car was rolled so might need to be straightened...)
Regards David
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

This may help David. I'll check which lever is pulled by which brake but I can't remember which is the inside and which is the outside set of shoes! :lol:
Just checked and as I thought the hand brake rod runs inboard of the footbrake rod and pulls the innermost lever on the drum. I'm not sure which set of shoes that actuates but you will be able to see it if you play with the levers and see which cam comes into play.
Chassis attention 002.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Better pictures.
First survey 26 May 2014 031.JPG
First survey 26 May 2014 060.JPG
david.bryant

Post by david.bryant »

:D Thanks Colin
That helps a lot.
Regards
David
david.bryant

Post by david.bryant »

Hi
I found the rest of the bits to clean and assemble the brass Solex carburetor today. Thanks to singer owners over east and the local vintage car club.
It was interesting to find out it is French and Metric!

After assembling the carburetor onto the aluminium intake manifold I noticed the head has an exhaust manifold that is cast iron with an attached intake manifold. Is it a different exhaust manifold I should look for to match the cast aluminium one?
I would prefer to be able to use the aluminium one as my guess is that it will fun cooler than the cast iron one attached to the exhaust manifold.
photo - Copy (2).JPG
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

This was the set up on my '27 Junior. I'm afraid I gave up with the solex and fitted a period SU. But I kept to original as far as the manifolds were concerned.
Attachments
img    for can078.jpg
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Mine is the same - bronze Solex and cast manifold. I haven't got any aluminium parts.
DSC_0018.JPG
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

'27 manifold was in two parts - maybe it isn't as clear as it could be in the pic. Exhaust was cast iron, inlet was cast aluminium....and I could hardly believe what a difference the SU made .....
Bill
david.bryant

Post by david.bryant »

Thanks for the photos.
I will lookout for the cast iron exhaust only manifold.
I'll try the Brass carby first, though I am not surprised the SU would perfom better.
Regards
David
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Here is a close up of mine before I painted it - 1929 model. There is a later version with additional bolts on the ends which you can just see in the picture of my friend's extremely green saloon, so which one you need depends on which block you have. I also have a very poor picture of a later one I bought on eBay two years ago that is now on David's engine.
Engine paint 006.JPG
Happy Man.jpg
later manifold.jpg
later manifold.jpg (3.21 KiB) Viewed 19273 times
david.bryant

Post by david.bryant »

Thanks Colin
I will try and get the early cast iron exhaust manifold and the castings for under the nuts.

Am I seeing it correctly that the front shock absorbers are connected only to the spring well forward of the axle?

Anyone have a part number for the front and rear shockies? (Hydraulic), I think the friction ones look way better and It looks like they were not an option till after 1926. My Chassis has remains of old hydraulic shocked and all four are trash so I would like a part number and to check front and rear are the same.
Regards
David
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

I have one casting which may be suitable but I can't be certain it's off the Junior. see pics
DSCN0040.JPG
Attachments
DSCN0039.JPG
DSCN0038.JPG
david.bryant

Post by david.bryant »

Thanks for the photo Bill
I will try get them all together first.
Now I have seen a photo I can dig through the pile of unidentified rust...

Regards
David