Help identifying coupe

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
cdk84
First Name: David

Re: Help identifying coupe

Post by cdk84 »

Hi Colin,

First, thank you for your kind words for Nancy and me. We've both been ill a bit: she more than I, and she's a good bit better, back at working on her stroke recovery ( the stroke was four years ago, but she's back in PT for the first time in a long while: I'm grateful ). I'm still trying to regain some ground: no energy or stamina at present. Trying, through it all, to design and build a workshop as there have been a couple of additions to our stable.

Delighted to think of ELA being on the road! The work, as always, is fun to follow and instructive; the buff out with such a lovely result takes things to a very satisfying level of completion. She looks ready for the show circuit.

I ask about the oil you're going to select because 'over here' we've had zinc additives removed from our oil, which changes the friction reduction capacity of the oil. This has specific implications for the running in of components like cams, lifters, and even valves when they are new and not yet lubricant-infused and protected.

As you've put so much effort into your engine rebuild, and, I believe --if I've been paying attention-- have a freshly ground or fully new cam, please look into the zinc content of the oil you select for your next oil change. Over this way, we have specialty oils that are designed for break-in, for example Shell/ Rotella, Lucas High Zinc ( can't cause your electrics to go wonky as it's sequestered in your crankcase... ) and Valvoline VR-1.

The subject in interesting and is covered from somewhat different perspectives in the following links.

https://www.hemmings.com › blog › 2012/10/18 › tech-101-zinc-in-oil-an...

and

https://blog.amsoil.com › do-older-vehicles-need-high-zinc-motor-oil

Let me know your thoughts, and tell me if or when you lot start slathering your roads with salt. Gives me the shivers --the salt, not the cold.

And, of course, it's the reason my cars don't get sufficient use for as long as the salt residue remains on the roads. Often it's can be six months, and this year they've salted early and one can never tell in New England how long Mother Nature's obdurate and condescending abuse will endure.

Very Best to you, and Kudos to your loving ( and understanding ) wife for supporting your passion.
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

I have just checked David and Millers do three monograde oils with ZDDP, so zinc is still added to vintage oils in the UK. So far as salt is concerned we sometimes don't get any at all as our winters have been very warm recently and our local authorities don't always bother with country roads when it is frosty.
I'm sorry to hear you haven't been well - hopefully you will be back firing on all four (or six!) cylinders soon. The 'additions' sound intriguing; are there any pictures?
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

By the way, for comparison here is David's Le Mans Coupe compared to my Nine. Bonnet side panels, grille and wheels are the most obvious differences but under the hood David has a more potent engine and the interior is finer.
Coupe.jpg
Coupe.jpg (164.56 KiB) Viewed 41512 times
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg (129.64 KiB) Viewed 41512 times
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

On oils,Penrite Shelsley Light is a high zinc 20W 60 oil specially formulated for pre-1950 cars so that is what I will go for. I think this is what is in my junior too so it makes sense to use the same stuff.
cdk84

Post by cdk84 »

Hi Colin,

Lovely comparative photos, and most instructive: I Love the chrome blaze at the rear of the waistline on your car: quintessentially Art Deco. Thank you for posting the two, as it's useful, I believe, for those who can't see either car --or any of the rare closed light coupes and sedans.

( It is only fair to mention that one can see, when directed to look, that the headlamps on BMX 7 are sealed beam lamps mounted in the original housings --done by a former owner, I might add ) I am searching for replacement reflectors and sockets and will remedy this rather odd adaptation as soon as I find the parts and can get them into good enough condition to warrant installation. Any suggestions for locating those bits would be greatly appreciated.

It's perhaps not out of line to comment upon the wide variety of vehicle models that was made available to the public by Singer Motors, Ltd. Had they been less fixated upon being a British General Motors, might they have had a better chance of surviving into more modern times?

What a lovely car you've reclaimed! I find it very stylish indeed, well worthy of your ministrations. And, I trust, most rewarding.

Cheers,
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I couldn't resist this on eBay - a flyer issued by Singer in 1936 to promote the Nine Coupe. It reprints the review from the magazine I already have, but I find these contemporary documents to be really fascinating.

One interesting thing is that despite ELA's model often being described as a 'Bantam Coupe', Singer themselves never used this description and only ever marketed the car as a Nine Coupe.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg
cdk84

Post by cdk84 »

Hi Colin,

The period literature, particularly from Singer, is both engaging and very interesting indeed; I agree.

Thanks for posting the pieces you put up on this thread. They're great.

A couple of years ago, I spent a small fortune on a portfolio of prints that illustrate each car in the 1936 Singer model line. They are Beautifully photographed and hand colored before excellent reproduction in what appear to be gravure prints. The individual vehicles' images are very handsome indeed for being beautifully staged. Also, each model's standard features are enumerated in text on the back of the cards, accompanied by a list of optional equipment available. It makes a great evening just to read and learn or revisit these details.

Look forward to seeing how you attack the challenge of the seat back's bottom.

Happiest of Holidays to One and All.

David
davida
First Name: david

Post by davida »

The original post is missing so I am not sure what was asked.
re the photos - One of the cars is a 1937 Singer Coupe that sits on a Bantam chassis, with a Bantam engine and three speed gearbox.Bantam dashboard.
The other looks like a 1935 Le Mans coupe which would be mounted on a double drop chassis with a twin carb engine and 4 speed gearbox.Sports dash board with Tacho, etc

Chassis numbers would throw more light

Cheers David A
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Hello David A. We were just comparing cars: my new purchase of a 1937 Nine Coupe compared to CDK84's Le Mans Coupe. The thread is still all there on my PC, but it started with me trying to find out exactly what car was for sale at Mathewson's auction last June. It turned out to be the Nine Coupe (with all mechanicals seized) which I fell in love with and bought! She is now back on the road following an engine rebuild and brake, fuel and ignition overhaul. :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I had a lovely drive around the village in ELA to celebrate the new decade. The roads were empty as I expected so it was really pleasant to be out.
Happy New Year everyone! :D
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Thanks Colin - and a Happy New Year to everyone from Liz & I.
We can't use the Singer at the moment due to the hood being partially fitted...pics to follow. So we are spending the day tidying the workshop before Grandson Sam & self get started on straightening the chassis on his car BEV 859. I suggested it might be his girlfriend's name but he reckons it stands for Barely Even Viable!!!! Not bad for a 14 year old!
Bill
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Ha ha I love it. :lol: It reminds me of what it was said Lotus stands for: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious....
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Have just heard from Air TV that the new series of Bangers and Cash (which should contain a piece on ELA at some point) will begin on 6th February at 8.00pm on the Yesterday channel on Sky or 25 on Freeview.
cdk84

Post by cdk84 »

HI Colin,

Thanks for the broadcast timeline, and congratulations again, first of course for completing the wonderful car and also for helping the Singer marque to receive more [ and most deserved ] attention on air.

WIll the broadcast be streamed so others, from the infidel, out-lying lands, can view the show?

Hope you are well. Happy New Year and very best wishes. Nancy and I are both feeling better.

Family matter intervene at present, but we are looking forward to being back in the garage. No time for Florida this year, for the reason of the aforementioned family concerns.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I'm glad you are both in better health David. I don't know for certain whether ELA will be featured as the filming was hurried and late in the day, but it is likely she (and I) will be in one episode. The show is aired in weekly episodes over several weeks on the UK Sky network but you may be able to get it on the net. Its a nice show which is focused on affordable cars that ordinary people can own rather than rich person's toys at sky rocketing prices. :D