1934 canvas canopy/roof

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

1934 canvas canopy/roof

Post by DarcyG »

While not there yet, I thought it might be an idea to start gathering detail on the 4 seater roadster canopy structure. I have photos and a general idea but I was wondering does anyone have:

A. drawings and measurements of each canvas section to scale or just with general layout and measurements so that I can develop templates; or

B. An old one in pieces they are happy to part with that can be used to develop templates. Tears etc are not an issue as it is only to develop the templates.

I will be in Quebec, Washington DC, Boston, Florida late October ealy November, so I could possibly arrange to collect if there are any items available.

Even photos with soft tape rule measurements along the seams would be a start. There are no ‘34s down here that I can use as a model.

From what I can see, there appear to be two styles:
1. one with two sections - top (front to back and stretch over sides) and then the rear section with window (oval or rectangle? One photo has no rear window? Original?)

2. Three sections - front to rear top section, one piece all the way and then a side skirt on each side? Back with or without window?

The tonneau and back cover appear to be straight forward with measurements not being as critical.

I don’t have a frame but will build one from the drawings elsewhere on this site. I could just cut and sew from fitting the cover to the frame, but I thought some measurements might help to validate what I am doing.

Thanks in advance.
cdk84
First Name: David

Re: 1934 canvas canopy/roof

Post by cdk84 »

Hello again Darcy,

As you'll be traveling in our part of the world, greater Boston, please feel invited to spend some time at our house where you can bask in the company of one, or perhaps by then two Singers. We've corresponded on these pages, so I hope you will feel comfortable contacting me, either through this site or via private message. If you would like, please ask for my private email.

I have a 1936 Nine Sports and its vinyl hood is in good condition. It could serve as an example, possibly a template if you would like to take measurements, photographs, drawings and notes. Were you to want hep with this process, I would be delighted to be of assistance.

Please let us know what your travel dates will be.

Very Best Wishes,

David