Le Mans seats and upholstery

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Re: Le Mans seats and upholstery

Post by DarcyG »

Hi Bill When you get a chance, and if you can, can you expand on the attachment of carpet? If I sow leather around the edge of the carpet, how do I tack the sides and still pullover/pulldown? I can understand the top section but the sides challenge me, not hard these days.

I once did my 4A from scratch, and TD from a kit, so I am attemting this from scratch. So far I have bases for the front, slides attached and a cut cushion, I next plan to encase these in light canvas type material with some wadding over the sponge (inplace of horse hair) before overlaying the seat material. At least, that is the plan.
casadecabra
First Name: David

Post by casadecabra »

Roly - thanks very much for the comprehensive details of your Singer seats. It certainly gives me a working basis for their construction. Sadly I'm a bit of a purist, so if anyone can add any more details taken from an original squab it would be greatly appreciated.

David A - thanks for suggesting the Singer Sports Car book. Unfortunately the Hardwicks are out of stock. Any idea where else I can obtain a copy?

David B
mothy
First Name: Roland

Post by mothy »

The book only contains details of the 1934 back rest, not the cushions. Mostly the data covers the bucket seats.

The book Is a bible for purist restorers. It is very well worth hunting a copy down.

Roly
-----------------------------------------------
Used to own a 1934 Singer Le Mans

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Hi Darcy,
sorry for the delay in reply but I've been away for a few days. My upholsterer has been in hospital having a hip replaced so I don't want to bother him with trim queries just yet!! He might be upset & not do hood & carpets :shock:
I will enquire though - just need to wait for a polite moment
kind regards
Bill
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Post by DarcyG »

Thankss Bill, when recovered, I am focusing on seats first
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

If anyone has a set of original red Singer Nine front seat covers that are going to be discarded, I would be interested in them.

I have a wonderful car that has had new seat covers made for the front. The new seats are leather but their color, texture and visual 'feel' don't match the rear seats which are original.

I am most interested in the leather forward- and upward-facing surfaces. If the side or back panels are damaged, that's not of huge importance, but of course a full, largely intact set would be the most desirable option.

Please contact me here or at Babadawv@gmail.com

Putting my car back to as close to its original appearance as possible is really important to me. I would welcome anyone's help with this, or a referral to someone who might have such a set of seat covers. I'm not interested in the seats themselves, in case someone wants to re-do their own seats. If, by some chance, someone wants to sell the seats as a complete pair, I would go for that option just to secure the covers.

Thanks so much,

David