Gearbox bearing

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Gearbox bearing

Post by jeans_old_man »

Work on the '35 four-seater has taken a turn for the worse. I got as far as fitting a seat and driving around the yard, but the noise coming from the gearbox has me searching through my old gearbox spares to see what I have.

The bronze bush top right is the original part that has the flange broken. The bits in the middle are the new part that I had made from cast bronze and hasn't survived. My question is what did I do wrong and has anyone else had the same problem?

Secondly, what is the solution? Do I get another one made and hope for the best or 'modify' the design slightly. I am tempted to buy a plain sintered bronze bush and fit a thrust washer over it, between the gears. Has anyone tried this?

If I buy some bronze I will probably have enough material to get more than one made. Does anybody want one?

Frustrated.
Brian
Attachments
20180826_100733.jpg
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: Gearbox bearing

Post by jeans_old_man »

I took the noisy box out today and had a look inside. It seems the ball races are making the noise - the top front one in particular but the back one seems very stiff. Fortunately, they seem to be widely available, so as soon as the bank holiday is over I will get them ordered.

I had a look at the bronze bearing between 3 & 4. That too had the flange separate from the rest of the bush. I am beginning to think that they are supposed to be like that, although it doesn't look like the flange will pass over the bush so it must have been made as one piece.

Still frustrated and now a little confused!

Brian