The Singer Sowing Machine Link

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

The Singer Sowing Machine Link

Post by DarcyG »

I am often asked was Singer the same group as the sewing machine and, of course, always say no.

But there is more to this. There was another Singer, Palmer-Singer! Related only by name, but interesting:

“Palmer was a member of one of the oldest families in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, New York, and a successful barrel maker. Singer heralded from swank Westchester County and was a scion of the Singer sewing machine family. The two joined forces to become dealers for Simplex, Isotta-Fraschini and Matheson automobiles from their Broadway showroom. They built their first car in 1908, initially referred to as the P&S. One year later it became the Palmer-Singer. The company slogan, 'The Best in Motor Cars' assured the fact that cars were 'built in small quantities to the select few.'

Capable of reaching 85 mph from its 616 CID, 60 horsepower six-cylinder engine, the Palmer-Singer was fast and powerful for its time. It achieved some sporting success, but when the company's failure loomed, officials desperately tried to rekindle public interest by announcing its 1915 line in 1913. The Palmer & Singer Mfg. Co. went bankrupt in March 1914. Once part of the Harrah collection, this is the only 6-cylinder Palmer-Singer known.”

See http://www.american-automobiles.com/Palmer-Singer.html for more information.
Attachments
3C62CB75-5D84-41EF-8227-49273D56B372.jpeg
3C62CB75-5D84-41EF-8227-49273D56B372.jpeg (189.11 KiB) Viewed 11382 times