Crank handle / driving light support bar

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Crank handle / driving light support bar

Post by DarcyG »

Hi, see attached. Has anyone attempted making the support bar? I have the end pieces. Rather than spend ages experimenting if anyone has been successful in making one it would be a great help. Thanks
Attachments
0F049065-DA17-4513-8B7D-88CEC5C96504.jpeg
Danish
First Name: David

Re: Crank handle / driving light support bar

Post by Danish »

A picture to show its profile for a '34.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 19.49.25.png
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Hi Darcy
I'm sure that all the bars will be different! Let's face it, a lot will depend on the thickness of the front engine mounting rubbers / spring leaf to say nothing of where the mounting castings are bolted on the early cars at least. Mine is a bit different in many respects, but I used socket extensions to locate the starter dog through the rad mesh then used a piece of cardboard moving on to a piece of thin ply & then half inch steel rod once I was satisfied with the fit. Mild steel tube bent to the profile much more readily that I thought it would once it was red hot & didn't distort anything like as much as expected. Not in the photo are a couple of brass "bungs" I've made for the ends once it's all plated.
Attachments
DSCN0135.JPG
Danish
First Name: David

Post by Danish »

Another starting handle bar.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 18.52.02.png
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Post by DarcyG »

Thanks, i also overlooked the obviouse , that the number plate has to be allowed for. I don’t like the look on the front but I have little option in Australia.