New Project

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: New Project

Post by ColinB »

I have tied the springs on one seat base using baling twine (I have an enormous roll of it donated by a farmer friend!). This was just to reinforce the mesh which was generally intact over much of the base. Because the mesh was a little spikey I added a layer of scrim foam before adding the hessian. I am sewing the hessian to the base after which I will make a pattern for the seat so I can sew the piping in the right place. The seats had been pretty vandalised when the car arrived and the seat covers were already off but it looks as if the leather is applied over the hessian with no intermediate scrim layer, but I might add one anyway just on the top. Any advice?
tied in.jpg
hessian.jpg
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

I think you need some padding between the springs and cover. I used thick felt (a bit like old fashioned carpet underlay). Looking good Colin!
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I have checked with John G, Brian and he doesn't have any padding on his original seats. I do in fact have a layer of padding between the top of the springs and the hessian as the mesh had a few spikes where the steel had rusted. Having stretched the padded base layer over it it is pretty comfy (even my wife agreed!). The other point is that I have made the new cover to the same length as the original and if I add any more padding I won't have any length left to sew to the base, I stuffed the cover's flutes with two layers of a wool scrim which is not very thick but feels OK.

I wanted to tackle the piping and bought a 1/8 piping foot to use with my 1/8" piping from Martrim., I found, however, that on a test piece it doesn't work. My machine has a pressure foot rather than a walking foot and the 1/8" foot simply pressed too hard on the piping so it wouldn't run through while the base leather piece rucked up beneath it. I have ordered two further feet - a 1/4" piping foot and a zip foot to try. I am most hopeful about the zip foot which is very narrow and should run close to the piping. While waiting for these feet to arrive I can stuff the two seat backs, cover the base of the seat bucket with leather and make the carpet for the back of the seats. So what with the garden needing attention, pointing to do on our old house and the upholstery I don't think I'll be idle!
Left Cut-1050x1200.jpg
jeans_old_man

Post by jeans_old_man »

I’ve never used a piping foot but used a zipper foot instead. I notice that Segal’s in Salford stock 1/2” polyester Dacron wadding and what they call ‘needle felt’. This is where I got my original supplies from in the 1970s. I remember he was very helpful to a young lad.
It sounds like you are enjoying your new-found skill!
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

The zipper foot certainly looks to be the best option Brian and its good that you have confirmed you used the same tool with great success. I am indeed enjoying learning something new and I'm grateful to you for encouraging me to have a go. I'll have a look at Segal's shop in Salford as finding suppliers of traditional stuff seems very difficult these days.

My current search is for padding for the seats backs which were originally padded with horsehair - this was the one part of the seats that hadn't been roughly dismantled when I got the car, largely because it had fallen apart all on its own! I kept the old material but will probably replace it with something else as yet to be discovered.
2 Rot.JPG
jeans_old_man

Post by jeans_old_man »

1/2” needle felt? Maybe two layers. You can also use it to pad the wheel arches. 54” wide from Segals. About £12 per metre.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I already had this material in the shed Brian and it makes quite a nice firm backing. I can't remember what it was called or where I bought it but it can be shaped with scissors and you can pull the fibres out along the edge to feather it out.
The zipper foot came yesterday so I'm going to practice some piping today before having go at the first seat.
padding.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Phew, piping is not easy especially the first time. Still I have an acceptable result on the first side of the driver's seat although there are a couple of needle marks where they shouldn't be when I went off track. I stapled the piping in place on the top piece then sewed that with the machine. I found it easiest to glue the side piece in place and then sew it onto the piping and top piece when the glue had secured the pieces together. Hopefully having discovered my own technique the second side will be easier and a bit quicker!
pipng 1.JPG
jeans_old_man

Post by jeans_old_man »

That looks absolutely fabulous! Well done. I’m looking forwards to seeing the finished result.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Mock up of seat number 1. According to John G the leather is sewed to the wire base of the spring frame then the bottom is covered in hessian. The back will be glued to the rear of the steel back plate and finally tacked in place when I add the carpet and the ring of Hidem to the rear.

This has been quite a learning curve but I have enjoyed it, I have gained experience and, more importantly from my point of view, I have found confidence in my ancient sewing machine and my ability to control it! Hopefully seat number 2 will be better, easier and quicker. :D
mock up 3.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Just the seat base with a few clips pulling it more into shape.
Base 2.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Cover sewn to the frame underneath so this part of the first seat is finished. I have to pad the inside of the metal frame within which the seat is located then cover that with leather. The cover for the back rest is ready for fixing so the final part will be to make the piece of carpet that covers the rear side of the back rest and hopefully sew the leather pocket to it. I'm hoping to use the original pocket just to retain some original part of the seat covers.
Base finished.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

On reflection I think I have under-stuffed the seat base especially at the front under the knees. Not a big deal as I can undo the cover and add more filling. I won't do that right now as the seat is useable and I can experiment with the passenger's one before taking any backward steps. :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Driver's seat placed in the car to see the effect. The hidem on the back is not in the right place along the top but it is only lightly tacked in place and is easy to correct. It is very comfortable and gives a really good driving position. Unfortunately the carpet I have used is very stiff unlike the original and I found it impossible to sew the pocket onto it. I'll do without it for the time being at least.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
jeans_old_man

Post by jeans_old_man »

I’ve been looking back at your thread and you have to admit you have come a long way!

Your seat cover looks superb but, like you, I suspect you don’t have enough stuffing. This picture of another six suggests there is much more padding.

Seat is looking great!
IMG_0098.jpeg