Starting Handle 4AD

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
wmcvey
First Name: William

Starting Handle 4AD

Post by wmcvey »

Would anyone know of a cross reference for a starting handle for a 52 4AD ?
Or have a starting handle they want to sell ?
And do you turn the handle in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction ?
We are trying to get a 52 4AD motor to spin after 30 years of sitting in a barn.
Tried the leave in gear and rock the car technique, didn't work. Thought the handle might help with this effort, thanks.
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Re: Starting Handle 4AD

Post by tvdwerf »

take the starter out, and try to set a big screwdriver on the flywheel, then you can try both directions.
But start with spark plugs out, and some WD40 in the cylinders.
Singer 4A 1950
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Having experience a seized engine on my Coupe I recommend you take the head off and make sure there isn't rust in the bores before trying any strong arm tactics. Over 30 years water vapour could get in even if the rad is drained and the head gasket is good. See my engine in the picture before it was bored out and sleeved back to standard.
DSC_0006.JPG
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

ColinB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 pm Having experience a seized engine on my Coupe I recommend you take the head off and make sure there isn't rust in the bores before trying any strong arm tactics. Over 30 years water vapour could get in even if the rad is drained and the head gasket is good. See my engine in the picture before it was bored out and sleeved back to standard.
DSC_0006.JPG
Thanks for the info and help, but have a question. Where did you get a head gasket from ? And are there rings or valves out there if ever needed.
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

head gaskets are around. Dave Green can give you info on valves, they come off a Chevy I think (could be wrong) but are too long and need some machining to cut the length.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 pm head gaskets are around. Dave Green can give you info on valves, they come off a Chevy I think (could be wrong) but are too long and need some machining to cut the length.
On the head gaskets, where would one get new ones. If I understand the block was made by Singer, right ? Who stocks these ?
Is a Singer part number for motor gaskets going to locate anything ? Thanks,
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

A head gasket is something I like to have on stock, for my 4A.
I have more than one here.
It is just looking for the right type, I am sure you will find them on ebay.
Also it is good to look inside, because a rusty place can damage your piston rings.
But also, a few days WD40 inside, and some force on the flywheel can get them turning.
When it does not work on that way, take the head of, look inside, and when to much rust, take the pistons out one by one.
On that way you can inspect the piston rings, and cylinder wall.
Honing this wall and cleaning / oiling the piston rings gives a little warranty for a nice running engine.

Yes, it is a job, but a gasket set is the only thing you need to buy, or, when you are not so lucky, new piston rings and pistons.
Singer 4A 1950
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

tvdwerf wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 am A head gasket is something I like to have on stock, for my 4A.
I have more than one here.
It is just looking for the right type, I am sure you will find them on ebay.
Also it is good to look inside, because a rusty place can damage your piston rings.
But also, a few days WD40 inside, and some force on the flywheel can get them turning.
When it does not work on that way, take the head of, look inside, and when to much rust, take the pistons out one by one.
On that way you can inspect the piston rings, and cylinder wall.
Honing this wall and cleaning / oiling the piston rings gives a little warranty for a nice running engine.

Yes, it is a job, but a gasket set is the only thing you need to buy, or, when you are not so lucky, new piston rings and pistons.
Thanks for all the info, it turns out we had to pull the head, it won't turn. Cylinder #3 is rusted, the wall will need honing on that cylinder.
And thinking of bring the head to a shop the works on heads exclusively and give it a once over, it looks a bit rough on a cylinder or two.
On a side note, how hard is it to really start one of these motors with a stating handle, has anyone actually done it ??
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Its not fun to hand start the car, but yes I have done many times. Remember to always grip the crank with the thumb wrapped below with the fingers. Although the crank handle will slip, its better to be safe rather than sorry with a broken thumb in case of kickback. You want your hand to completely release if there is a kickback without your thumb in the way, use an open grip that allows the crank to fly out of your hand without catching your thumb. Although as I said, the crank handle should slip out in case of kickback. There is also a debate going back to Ford's Model T's about left handed hand cranking instead of right handed...the left was considered safer, just not sure that is still valid on Singer's.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT