Knocking front suspension

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
mister bridger
First Name: peter

Knocking front suspension

Post by mister bridger »

Well, finally been able to get out for a few test drives in the 9A, and there is an alarming rythmic knocking from the front left when going round right hand bends. I've replaced a disintegrated bush on the top of the drop link of the left shock absorber and assumed this would cure it, but it's as bad as ever. Can't see anything else obviously loose - any ideas?
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Knocking front suspension

Post by ColinB »

Have you checked that a wheel isn't rubbing Peter? They aren't always absolutely square to the axle. Its worth checking the inside of the tyre and the wheel arch/chassis before doing anything drastic.
mister bridger

Post by mister bridger »

I had considered that, but there's no evidence of any contact anywhere
timothyolson
First Name: Timothy

Post by timothyolson »

I have had the same problem and discovered the tie rod ends on my 1949 9a have perished. Is there anywhere in USA or Canada that sells replacements? Or perhaps they are the same as another similar car of the era. I ordered a pair from UK but they are completely different and need a internal threaded long bolt to adjust them. Mine look nothing like that and the bolt was not included. Any ideas?
mister bridger

Post by mister bridger »

Having replace bushes and a wheel bearing to no avail I finally twigged it was the propshaft hitting the chassis due to a terminally perished gearbox mount. Universal replacement fitted and no more knocking. Result!