4AD Serial Numbers for a 52

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
wmcvey
First Name: William

4AD Serial Numbers for a 52

Post by wmcvey »

I'm I correct in stating the serial number on the brass "Name and Number plate" should match the serial number stamped on the chassis, but the oval aluminum disc which identifies the 'Body Number" is a unique number? But has the "L4AD" as a prefix, and the "V" on top which identities the year 1952, correct ?
52 Singer 4AD
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 4AD Serial Numbers for a 52

Post by mikeyr »

Yes you are, unfortunately, I have not yet rebuilt that page yet on the main website, I will put a priority on it. I just put up the old link http://www.singercars.com/dating.html but you are correct in your information and V is 1952. I will have the website fully populated within a week or so. I do wish our network hosting company had warned me they were going to do software updates, caught me off guard.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

The Letter change is not 100% sure for a year, somewhere around October is the change.
Mine is an October 1950 with certificate and U on the chassis.
On the certificate the body number, axle numbers, engine and gearbox numbers together with the ignition key number can be found, also the moment from leaving the factory.
Singer 4A 1950
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

mikeyr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 am Yes you are, unfortunately, I have not yet rebuilt that page yet on the main website, I will put a priority on it. I just put up the old link http://www.singercars.com/dating.html but you are correct in your information and V is 1952. I will have the website fully populated within a week or so. I do wish our network hosting company had warned me they were going to do software updates, caught me off guard.
Thanks so much for the reply and the above link. I saw your site wasn't 100% up yet, and I started to panic as there's so much important info on your site for us that are wanting to restore a Singer. Then I remembered about the "Wayback Machine" site that somehow has a snapshot of like ever web site on the internet going back in the past. And they actual had every page of your site on their server from 2001 thur 03/05/19, not sure how it works but it can be a life saver. My dad had stored six different cars in his barn and I got the 52 L4AD Singer from the estate. He bought it 30 years ago and just put it in the barn and never did anything with it.
Attachments
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg (185.63 KiB) Viewed 4284 times
52 Singer 4AD
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

tvdwerf wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am The Letter change is not 100% sure for a year, somewhere around October is the change.
Mine is an October 1950 with certificate and U on the chassis.
On the certificate the body number, axle numbers, engine and gearbox numbers together with the ignition key number can be found, also the moment from leaving the factory.
Thanks for the reply, but have a question. "Certificate" ? What is this certificate your referencing.
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf

Post by tvdwerf »

I had the option in the Dutch Singer club, to order a copy from the factory production book with all the numbers.
Together with this copy, a certificate is given on your name where all the numbers from your car are written on.
So if you have a matching number car, this is the way to prove.
One of my Singers is matching full, the other is just a complete car but not a single part original. I think the chassis is changed so not easy to find out.

I hope this is giving you the right information, in the picture you can read the contact details
Attachments
20210228_162823b.jpg
20210228_161242b.jpg
Singer 4A 1950
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

tvdwerf wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:36 pm I had the option in the Dutch Singer club, to order a copy from the factory production book with all the numbers.
Together with this copy, a certificate is given on your name where all the numbers from your car are written on.
So if you have a matching number car, this is the way to prove.
One of my Singers is matching full, the other is just a complete car but not a single part original. I think the chassis is changed so not easy to find out.

I hope this is giving you the right information, in the picture you can read the contact details
Thanks for the info, I'll send them an email. Too bad that authenticity certificate letter uses up 3/4 of the page as a disclaimer.
Would think that one small paragraph at the bottom would have been sufficient.
It will be awhile before I get to all those location and find these numbers. My brass plate was loose, not screwed in for some reason. The body plate is readable but still trying to locate / read that chassis number.
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf

Post by tvdwerf »

I showed the backside :D
The front side has the same information as the other document, but not all of it

But this is the front:
Attachments
20210228_162804b.jpg
Singer 4A 1950
tvdwerf

Post by tvdwerf »

The location from the chassis number for a 4A is on the front right, just behind the bumper mounts.
Rear axle, on top in the middle, gear box on top, front axle is different for a 4A on the outside, I do not know if the 4AD has an axle number.
Engine number on top of the clutch / flywheel housing.

I have 2 cars, and was very lucky all the parts from the matching number one, was mounted on the right car, because I got the cars in a lot of single parts.
Singer 4A 1950
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

And I have added the pages to the new format on the website, working on getting EVERYTHING DONE but since this came up, I did these first.

The years and how to identify what year.

https://www.singercars.com/dating-your-singer/

2 pictures of where the number is on the chassis.

https://www.singercars.com/4ad-serial-numbers/

And some other information on the serials.

https://www.singercars.com/4ad-serial-number-locations/
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

tvdwerf wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:53 pm I showed the backside :D
The front side has the same information as the other document, but not all of it

But this is the front:
I did reach out to that email your certificate and wanted to ask your experience dealing with these folks. Initially they said it would cost £50 and wanted to do the transaction over the phone? After telling them I wasn't that comfortable with a phone transaction if they would have a website or possibly take Paypal as an option. Then realizing I was overseeing said it would be 60 to cover shipping and will let me know regarding payment? Sound normal in your experience with them?
52 Singer 4AD
tvdwerf

Post by tvdwerf »

I did this for more than one car, using the Dutch club as contact.
So if you have this option in your area, the costs for sending oversea are a bit lower.
GBP 60 should not be a big issue for getting all the information and a certificate, also not when you have an almost matching car.
My experience is that is always possible to pay by bank in the UK, it should only take a little more time.
Singer 4A 1950
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

tvdwerf wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:59 pm I did this for more than one car, using the Dutch club as contact.
So if you have this option in your area, the costs for sending oversea are a bit lower.
GBP 60 should not be a big issue for getting all the information and a certificate, also not when you have an almost matching car.
My experience is that is always possible to pay by bank in the UK, it should only take a little more time.
Just wanted to thank you for your suggestion on the "Coventry Transport Museum" and their certificate of authenticity.
Everything worked out in the end, and making the payment by PayPal was an option it turned out.
Received mine in the mail, and it was very complete and looks nice too. Thanks again, Bill
52 Singer 4AD