Electronic Ignition for 4AD ?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Electronic Ignition for 4AD ?

Post by ColinB »

As I have noted on another thread William, electronic ignition will not solve issues with your distributor. So there is no point in fitting it if you have worn bearings or other problems. I have found the Distributor Doctor to be very good: my Nine Coupe wouldn't start until I had them sort out the distributor and in my opinion the cost is well worth it.
wmcvey
First Name: William

Post by wmcvey »

Mark Thompson wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:59 pm Today, I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition module in my 1952 4AD to replace the points & condenser. My distributor is a Lucas DKY4A # 40167. I used Part No. LU-146LSP12 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts for about $160 including shipping. It can also be ordered directly from Pertronix using their online store. The module included a rotor that is slightly shorter than the original to allow clearance over the module. It was a simple installation and is barely discernible from outside the distributor. It did require cutting the condenser off the baseplate to make room for the module. That was no problem as I had an assortment of old condenser baseplates. The car runs and idles very smoothly. Tomorrow, I will take it for a test drive and I will keep everyone posted if I encounter any problems.
Hopefully, I'll never have to replace points or condensers again.

Happy Singering!

Mark Thompson
I realize this is an older post, but you have the exact same Singer as I have, the 1952 4AD and with the same distributor, the DKY4A. And did the same thing I'm thinking about doing. Moving into an electronic ignition system. I've looked at this part as well LU-146LSP12 and LU-146LS, besides the first having a rotor included and the other one not. Not sure if there's a difference.
Is this still working out for you, and were you able to use the stock coil ? I've heard you need to update the coil when going to electronic ?
52 Singer 4AD
William Howerth

Post by William Howerth »

Moss motors has them for $170. You buy them based on which model/number Lucas distributor you have.
I have had mine for some time now and it still works fine so far.
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

William Howerth wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:08 am Moss motors has them for $170. You buy them based on which model/number Lucas distributor you have.
I have had mine for some time now and it still works fine so far.
Thanks for the heads up. When I called Moss about something else I only had my year make and model and didn't get far as the Singer is not in their system as a car. And their site is all based on selecting the car make/model first, not by the product. But on the distributor, I have the Lucas number, "DKY4A". Did yours included the rotor or cap as well for that price ? And did you have to update the coil, or kept using the stock one ?
52 Singer 4AD
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

Mine is still working fine! I did not have to upgrade the coil. Prior to changing to the electronic ignition, I was having to change coils a couple of times a year, mostly in the summer, when the engine runs hotter. The heat destroys the coils.
Mark Thompson
wmcvey

Post by wmcvey »

Mark Thompson wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 pm Mine is still working fine! I did not have to upgrade the coil. Prior to changing to the electronic ignition, I was having to change coils a couple of times a year, mostly in the summer, when the engine runs hotter. The heat destroys the coils.
Mark Thompson
Great, think I'm going with the same, the LU-146LSP12 with an updated performance coil that site sells. "PerTronix 40511 Coil 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm".
My question, did you replace your distributor cap with a new one as well ? Mine looks like it's the original, or at the very least it's 30 or 40 years old.
And want to eliminate any possible failure points. Would you and anyone know who / where a NEW replacement cap is to be found ? And a set of NEW ignition wires. I did search the Moss site with the part number that Mike gave me MGTD #418888 and it cross reference to their part #153-000 that looks correct, but it's on back order.
52 Singer 4AD
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

Post by Mark Thompson »

No, I did not have to change the distributor. In rereading my post, I need to make a correction . I was not having coil failures, it was the condenser that failed due to heat. I have never had a coil failure with my car.

Mark Thompson