Ring Gear for 4A

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
klaus
First Name: klaus

Ring Gear for 4A

Post by klaus »

hi
i have a rather worn ring gear, as usual in two positions.
my thought was to weld material on top of the worn teeths and grind to original size.
but the mechanic says that the ring gear is made of cast iron ! , i doubt that..

but is that right ??

i am not very happy to knock off ,and possible brake ,the ring gear from the fly wheel.
ring gears are impossible to find i am told.
or do you know where there is chance to find it?
klaus
denmark
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: Ring Gear for 4A

Post by mikeyr »

I don't know for sure, but I really doubt the ring gear is cast iron, I would think that would be too weak for the constant work of the starter gear and wear it out quickly. I assume its a good steel and welding it would work for a time.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

I also think the "bang" from the starter is too heavy to keep a cast iron ring alive. The flywheel self is possible. But can't you find a spare flywheel?
And sometimes a ring from another brand will work, the starter from a 4A is also the same as from the Morris Minor sidevalve.
I never measured the difference from the rings, both of them are somewhere in my barn..
Singer 4A 1950
klaus

Post by klaus »

hi
thank you for the reply
yes, its certainly made from steel.

TDWERF i doubt that a starter ring from your morris is large enough. i have 3 from a morris 8 that are too small.
but i might be wrong

singer 4ad is inside 267,3 mm
outside 288 mm
112 teeth.

do you mind check what you have and if it is useable we might be able to make a deal ?

anyone else that have a spare ??
tvdwerf
First Name: Teake

Post by tvdwerf »

I am for sure the Morris 8 has the same as the MM sidevalve, the only difference is the waterpump optin.
The 8 should have the USHM2 engine, without the water-pump option, and the MM the USHM3.
As far as I know both engines have the same mountings.
Before I sell my spare, first I have to check the others, with 2 4A almost complete, is a spare not bad to have :)
It is always possible to buy my second car, because I just want to keep one after restoring.
Singer 4A 1950
klaus

Post by klaus »

i managed to tap off the starter ring ( actually some serious banging with a larger hammer and a chisel !)
the flywheel and ring was normal room temperature.
after cleaning off rust and filing the inner ring edge ( facing the flywheel) it was heated it up until you can not hold it without gloves,
tapping with a smaller hammer it fell in place .
the ring is now turned 90 degree - ready to take another 70 ears of service.

klaus