The next generation

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Re: The next generation

Post by telco.2 »

Hi folks,
We're short of the nut that retains the bearing on the primary shaft for the gear box. Does anyone out there have a spare that we could buy please? It is 1" diameter 16tpi and left hand thread. Thanks in anticipation
Bill & Sam
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

Panic over! I've managed to buy a tap of the right size, so can make the nut. I've had to make more bits for this car than I have for any of the others I've rebuilt over the years. It just shows how the parts are getting rarer as the years go by - inevitable really I suppose.
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Great result Bill, but you are right about the parts issue, and with Hardwicks slowly selling everything off it will get worse. Arthur and the bus garage may soon be the only source. I have been very lucky with my Six - it was badly rotted but everything major was there including a good chassis, restorable engine and drive train plus wood trim, door cards and seats because there are absolutely no spares! John Griffiths has also been invaluable in sending me photos and patterns for missing parts such as the rear seat base and dashboard.

Dare I mention that my new MG TD enjoys pages of new parts from the Octagon club all at 'mates rates' prices.....
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

You have a point, Colin. That is a compelling reason for going over to the dark side. If the Singer Owners' Club doesn't take action soon it will become a talking shop for old fogies who swap anacdotes and photos whilst their cars rot in garages waiting for that spare part that never comes. If the cars cannot be kept running I am afraid their value will diminish and many will end up in the scrap yard - or worse - being turned into rat rods :evil:
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

Happy New Year everybody! Let's hope 2021 will be better for all & that we're all able to do more Singering :D :?:
Bill & Sam
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

the parts issue is why IF (note really big IF) I ever get another car to restore/work on, it will be a Morgan. Engine parts are even more common than MG motor parts since they didn't use specific motors. Yeah, other parts are EXPENSIVE but a Moggie was my first love, I still remember in the summer of 1974 looking at a 4AD for sale and telling my girlfriend at the time (now my wife but not at that time) that it almost looks like a Morgan with the sweeping tail of the 4AD. I could not buy the 4AD as I had just bought a Morgan 2 days earlier, luckily the seller could only find 3 of the wheels and it was not a 3-wheeler so the shipping company would not pick it up (half way across the US), I was able to back out of the sale and go get the almost Morgan, my 4AD and bring it home, it took 2 truck loads, body in one trip, chassis second trip to get it home.

Although I am about 4 miles from Moss Motors headquarters and a MG would be easy to work on and get parts for, I would want a TC as I think they look best, TD next and no thank you to the TF. The Morgan it would be, there are a few running around town that I see sometimes and each time, I think I should do it, but I have promised wife, no cars until Le Mans is done.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT