New Singer Porlock Project

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Sean 776
First Name: Sean

New Singer Porlock Project

Post by Sean 776 »

Thanks for adding me to your forum.

Here are some photos of my latest project. I'd be very interested if anyone knows if it has any competition history. It has spent most of its life in the north of England but has had the original number plate changed. It would be great if anyone has any photos of it competing - the registration number now is YSL 502.
Attachments
Singer D.jpg
Singer D.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
Singer A.jpg
Singer A.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
Singer G.jpg
Singer G.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
Singer E.jpg
Singer E.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
mikeC
First Name: Mike

Re: New Singer Porlock Project

Post by mikeC »

YSL 502 is a recent age-related number, probably dating from the last twenty years. It's most unlikely the car has had any competition history in that time; do you know what it's original registration number was?
1914 Saxon Model A; 1930 Morris Cowley; 1931 Austin Seven; 1953 Lancia Appia; 1967 Singer Chamois
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Looks like a great project Sean! You should contact Mike Hyman or Dick Preston about your car as they may know something.
Sean 776

Post by Sean 776 »

Hi Mike I have the original buff logbook but sadly the original number has been erased . You can just make out a red stripe running down the back of the body which made me think it has had a sporty life.
Sean 776

Post by Sean 776 »

Thanks Colin will do I have a year to get it restored before Grimsthorpe speed trial any tips on releasing a bit more horsepower? What sort of compression ratio is safe? Has anybody made a better profile cam? I think I will go with a su carb as the solex looks very restrictive.
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Dick Preston is your man Sean - he has been playing with the engine for his Porlock replica for some time and I'm sure he would be happy to share his experiences. He is based in North Wales.
mikeC
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeC »

Sean 776 wrote:... You can just make out a red stripe running down the back of the body which made me think it has had a sporty life.
That sounds more like a boy-racer's touch from the 1960s :lol: I had got my eye on your car when it was for sale in Doncaster, and it never crossed my mind that it had a competition history.
1914 Saxon Model A; 1930 Morris Cowley; 1931 Austin Seven; 1953 Lancia Appia; 1967 Singer Chamois