Gazelle heater service

The Gazelle, Hunter, Chamois.
styleruk
First Name: Simon

Gazelle heater service

Post by styleruk »

Hi all, long time no post. (short post goto; 'The point'.
But recent (Covic-19), days, I've found myself with more time to prep my car for Classic Le Mans that me and my brothers do every 2 years (it's been put back to 2021). So with this spare time, I'm doing some detailing. I always love keeping Mr Ings (name of Gazelle 1965), original as best as possible but with some tricks up her sleeve. EG; I converted her to LGP many years ago but kept the original carb look as well as running on petrol. I have a well hidden powerful stereo system (I like my music), you would not know it's there.
So now to the point. I'm currently rebuilding the engine and converting to alloy head and overdrive gearbox ect, but whilst I had the engine out I thought I'd use my time to clean up and service things and that brings me to the heater.

The point.
Whilst I'm pulling the heater matrix apart to check it all out (first time it's ever been out), I'm doing some things*. Can anyone let me know of any improvements, tricks, tips or cool things I can do whilst I'm carrying out the task? No matter how crazy, no idea is a bad idea.

*'things', I'm doing.
- Bench tested fan, strip and check bearings etc.
- Replace foam seals around screen vent (circular ones) and floor vent (rectangle one). not sure where to get that yet
- Clean up all air ducts and think of a way to bring back a 'black' look.
- strip mechs and improve by re-seating, making new bushes etc. (I have lathe).
- replace aweful bowden cables with more modern ones
- somehow update the graphics to look new
- strip and paint...obviously
- pressure test the heater matrix (bloody carefully). I have a spare one somewhere to test that on.
- new screws/fixings etc
- rubber treat the input air duct. god knows why though, it's been there since 1965 and looks new.

any ideas will help or places for spares (not ebay please, drives me nuts that place)

Cheers
Si
styleruk

Re: Gazelle heater service

Post by styleruk »

20200420_152007.jpg
Goes to show, its worth servicing. Seals very worn, done well for 55years really.
20200420_152007.jpg
Rubbed down, dents filled.
Will continue rebuilding and updating for reference if anyone else needs it in the future.

Did research a little about the possibility of fitting air con, this box would take a unit, a new box with similar size would do the job. People in USA have air con fitted in alpine and minx, got me thinking.
Attachments
20200420_175433.jpg
styleruk

Post by styleruk »

Painted.
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

The snail blower looks very much like the unit fitted to Series 3 Land Rovers.
styleruk

Post by styleruk »

All completed now. Used several orings and seal to seal the join, motor test OK, cleaned up and oiled in places, ready to fit when I've finished the engine update.
20200510_115735.jpg