Le Mans radiator cross bar & badge bar

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
casadecabra
First Name: David

Le Mans radiator cross bar & badge bar

Post by casadecabra »

I've made a radiator shell cross bar for my 1934 Le Mans 9, but the illustration in the Dave Hardwick spares catalogue shows two nuts welded on to mount a badge bar.
Can anyone please tell me:
1) The size and spacing of these nuts
2) How the badge bar, which is presumably a length of (3/4"?) tube is attached to the cross bar.

David B.
Danish

Re: Le Mans radiator cross bar & badge bar

Post by Danish »

Badge bar or the starting handle bar that attaches to the front apron and where a FT37 spotlight attached? A picture of a badge bar taken off my car...studs rotated to mount to my garage door!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 19.15.40.png
casadecabra

Post by casadecabra »

Thanks for your reply David. Yes, it is the badge bar in front of the radiator I am interested in. Is the bar in your photo an original? Could you let me know the diameter of the bar, the distance between the fixing bars and their thread.
Danish

Post by Danish »

The bar (actually a tube) is 1/2'' dia. Unfortunately I don't have the dims of the others as the bad bar went with the car.
Based upon the 1/2 diameter measurement you should be able to estimate the stud length. The studs actually fasten into a tie-bar that is situated behind the mesh grille. Diameter of the stud will be governed by the dim of the threaded blind holes in the tie-bar. Hope this makes sense!
Danish

Post by Danish »

Found a picture of the bar fitted to my car. Originally, I don't think the badge bar extended beyond the width of the radiator shell. Aesthetically, that would make sense.
Attachments
IMAG0901.jpg
casadecabra

Post by casadecabra »

David - thanks for your reply and the photos.

I've scaled up some measurements from your pictures and another photo. This is never an easy task because of perspective problems but I've come up with the following approximations using the radiator grill width as a basis -

Diameter of badge bar: 3/4" (not 1/2")
Distance between mounting spigots: ~11"
Dome nuts: 5/16" [BSF]
Length of badge bar: 15"-16"

I would be grateful if someone with an original bar could pop out to their garage and check these measurements as I'm anxious to send the bits off for plating.

David B
Danish

Post by Danish »

I'll remeasure the badge bar diameter as I have one of the push in cap ends.
casadecabra

Post by casadecabra »

David (Danish) - have you had a chance to measure the end cap for the badge bar yet?
I would be grateful if someone could confirm or amend my estimated dimensions for the radiator cross bar and badge bar.

David B
Danish

Post by Danish »

Hi David, I managed to locate one. The outside diameter of the cap is 16mm. The cap seems to fit a tube with internal diameter is 12.5/13.0mm. I remember when fitted, the cap outer circumference extending beyond the external diameter of the bar. I guess, as it was a home-made solution at the time there was limited availability of tube/ caps to select from. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_20200528_161018.jpg