Steering rod nut

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
froux
First Name: françois

Steering rod nut

Post by froux »

Hi everybody and happy new year, i am at least back on my 9 sports. Working on the steering right now. I have to replace the castle nuts ont he rod. Any one know what size i should find? 5/8 bsf? Thanks
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Re: Steering rod nut

Post by telco.2 »

Hi Francois,
BSF sizes go on the thread diameter - so you need 3/8"BSF nuts
Bill
davida
First Name: david

Post by davida »

Hi Francis

That is a rather early rod. What is the condition of the ball inside the part you picture?

Cheers
David A
froux

Post by froux »

Thanks for your help , a 3/8 not a 5/8 nut. The ball moves freely, i'll grease it generously.
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

Yes that's right Francois; although the nut measures 5/8" across the flats, the thread is 3/8" BSF. Regards Bill
froux

Post by froux »

I have received the 3/8 bsf nut i ordered but it doesn't fit more than a few threads on the axis.
Could it be another type of thread ? Not bsf ? :?:
darcy
First Name: Darcy

Post by darcy »

If you have one run a 3/8 tap through, sometimes the end thread on these nuts gets rough. Or if no tap try another bolt and us wd40 etc.

Your thread also looks like it needs a clean up
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Hello again, François,

I think what David was getting at when he asked you about the ball inside the steering arm is whether you had opened the chamber at the end of the arm to inspect the physical condition of the ball inside. If the lubricant has ever dried out, there's a very good chance that the ball has surface pitting or worse degradation and may cause difficulty in future, showing as either stiff or uneven, possibly unpredictable response to steering input. This is not something to pass over, as you are clearly doing such high quality work on your restoration.

If I am not too bold, might I respectfully suggest that it's worth inspecting this ball for wear while the link is out of the car? ( it's So much easier to do this now than having to remove it after reassembling the car ) It may very well be fine, but bear in mind that the metallurgy of these cars is now 80 years old, and it was Not state of the art in its time. A short time now could save you time and frustration later on, but will certainly add to the measure of confidence you have in the car performing as you hope, once it is finally on the road. As there is a potential safety issue here, I hope you will take amiss my suggestion to make that extra effort now.

Very Best Wishes,

David
froux

Post by froux »

That is for sure a wise advise. I will investigate further. :wink:
telco.2

Post by telco.2 »

Steering rod nut. A friend has had exactly the same problem and had to run a die down the thread below the taper before the 3/8" nut would fit. I wonder if the threads 'stretch' a bit as they are tightened to align the split (cotter) pin hole?
davida
First Name: david

Post by davida »

Hi
Thanks David for expanding on my question.
I asked because if he came back and said the ball was worn then I could offer a NOS ball [with a nut!]

Best wishes
David