Bonnet Bracket

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
darcy
First Name: Darcy

Bonnet Bracket

Post by darcy »

A silly question really, but I am about to attach the bracket in the red circle, (this from the original car as it came to me). It can go two ways, bend in or out. Browsing through my many photos it appears to be in or out on many cars, but dare I ask, which is correct. It is obviously to stop the bonnet flapping inwards, and therefore I assume the way it is attached here is wrong and that the flat should align with the edge of the grill.

Any thoughts on original position?
Attachments
DSC_5816 copy.JPG
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Bonnet Bracket

Post by ColinB »

Based on the set up on my Coupe I think that must be the bracket that engages with the forward bonnet catch Darcy, so presumably its in or out depending on where it needs to be for the catch to grab it.
darcy

Post by darcy »

Thanks, that makes sense, I have not got as far as fitting the bonnet or latches yet. For that matter I am not sure now were the rear latch attaches. Today I managed to “dry” fit the front wings and aprons, tomorrow I hope to clean up some of the Hardwick build for a custom fit and start drilling some holes to keep it all in place. I will go back to my photobfile now to look for a rear latch fitting before I go further.

Gee I wish there was a set of Ikea instructions that came with my flat pack Singers!
Attachments
5EA9C96A-D414-43FB-8AAD-BE3EC4FFDE88.jpeg
5EA9C96A-D414-43FB-8AAD-BE3EC4FFDE88.jpeg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Again on my Coupe the rear catch is on the scuttle. Pictures of both attached.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
darcy

Post by darcy »

Thanks, I had seen this type of fitting years ago, but the Hardwick guards and the roadster design do not allow. See below - this is one of the original guards with the clip clearly shown, but this metal section is not on the reproduction guards as can be seen on the above side view. The red line shows roughly where the cut of is on the new guards - the top section missing.

So I need to think about this further. Do I weld an extra section on the guards or is there another solution?

When these imported cars where "Australianised: ie body built here except for guards and bonnet, they cut some 2" from the long side of the bonnet - "customisation"? I have had a section added but not trimmed to size yet so it is difficult to get an exact bonnet set up.

Possibly I can extend a bent wire latch up from the small upright rear section of the new guard if that makes sense, but I am rambling
Attachments
DSC_6693.JPG
darcy

Post by darcy »

looks like others have added a section to overcome the same issue
nth
First Name: Neil

Post by nth »

My '33 nine sports had replacement wings fitted at least 35 years ago before it had a long sleep before I bought it1
There is an upstand welded (very neat so not amateur) to the wing with a square hole and a reinrorcing plate welded over.
nth
First Name: Neil

Post by nth »

wing.jpg
picture this time!
robertctayler
First Name: Bob

Post by robertctayler »

Shows front and back bonnet clips. Front one goes inwards.
Shows front and back bonnet clips. Front one goes inwards.
I don't know the model of your car but the engine looks like mine, a '34.
Hope this helps. Bob