Distributor Cap for 1929 Junior

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
Mike57
First Name: Michael

Distributor Cap for 1929 Junior

Post by Mike57 »

I need to source a distributor cap for a Rotax magneto on my 29 Junior. The one I have has a large piece missing. Is there any method of repairing these or is there any chance of locating a replacement. I have been searching eBay and Facebook with no luck so for. Does anyone have any ideas to share either on where i might look for a replacement or a method of repairing the one I have which has a rather large piece missing from the flat side.
Regards

Mike
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Distributor Cap for 1929 Junior

Post by ColinB »

I found a whole spare magneto on eBay Mike which went for very little money. It doesn't work but is generally complete which unfortunately I'm keeping for spares. I found a second one too but that was missing the cap and points but I bought it anyway. I suggest you keep trawling eBay perhaps looking for a whole magneto as they seem to come up from time to time.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Curiously enough there is one on eBay right now but without that important distributor cap....
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

You could email DH Day who restores magnetos: dhday31@hotmail.com. Worth a try.
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Colin. I saw the one on eBay UK without the cap. I will try the contact you suggested. Many thanks.
Regards

Mike
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

If the contacts are still in the right place you can repair the cap quite well with epoxy putty such as Milliput. I repaired the rotor on my 1929 Junior magneto with the stuff and it has stood up well.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

There is a magneto on eBay with a cap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rota ... SwZH1drfsa
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Thanks Colin. I have asked the seller for some photos of the cap and if they are willing to post to Australia. Actually all I need them to post is the cap I suppose.
Regards

Mike
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Hello Mike. If it helps I could take delivery here in the UK and post the cap to you (if the cap is suitable of course).
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Colin. I might take you up on that offer and you could keep the magneto. The seller has not responded to my request for photos of the cap and I am not willing to make an offer until I know it is in reasonable condition. I will let you know if I get a response. I have sent two messages by ebay so far. They will send it to Australia if needed, the cost is GBP33 for shipping.

Miike
Regards

Mike
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Colin. I got photos of the cap and it was totally different to mine so its a no-go. Thanks for the offer anyway.
Regards

Mike
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

Turns out the fellow sent me the wrong photos so its still on the agenda and the price for shipping the whole unit to Oz is not too bad. I will check a few more details tomorrow and place a bid for it. Thanks for putting me onto it.
Regards

Mike
Mike57

Post by Mike57 »

My mate Peter here in Melbourne took a look at the pics and recommended against getting this one as it was not the correct model for my car and it was in pretty rough condition so I am still on the lookout. Hopefully my search now includes ebay UK as well so I won't miss any more that come up..
Regards

Mike
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Rotax SG4F is the correct magneto for 1928 and 1929 models Mike. It is listed in the contemporary spares book I have.