Canvas roof for a Le Mans 4-seater.

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Canvas roof for a Le Mans 4-seater.

Post by jeans_old_man »

Help! I am desperately trying to construct a hood (roof) for my '35 longtail before SND and need details of how the rear sidescreens attach to the main canvas part. I have some photos that seem to suggest there are two layers of canvas - one on the outside of the hoops and one on the inside. If that is the case how is the inside layer kept in place? Does it form a complete lining? How does it attach to the sidescreens?

Any photos/diagrams/words welcome!

Regards
Brian
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Re: Canvas roof for a Le Mans 4-seater.

Post by jeans_old_man »

To answer my own question, after studying a post on the Austin website, I made side 'valences' that fit inside the hoops and are hand-sewn to the webbing straps. Slots are needed to bring the material onto the top of the hoops and I used cloth flaps for support.
20190603_191235.jpg
I finished in time for SND but decided that a round trip of 300+ miles was too risky for the car's first outing for 39 years. Had a good time at the Singer weekend though, and the 'modern' was far more suited to the atrocious weather on the motorway. :D