rear brakes Bantam & 10 hp

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
davida
First Name: david

rear brakes Bantam & 10 hp

Post by davida »

Has anyone with a Bantam or 10 hp any ideas on getting the rear brake shoes off WITHOUT pulling out the hub and half shaft,

DavidA
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Re: rear brakes Bantam & 10 hp

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Hi David, I have a Super 10 and have been able to remove the brake shows without removing the hubs or half shafts. Exactly how, I do not recall. It was late, dark and I was tired but I did manage to get them off and back on.

From what I remember, I had removed the lower pivot bolt which cave more flexibility to the whole operation. I also turned the front hubs in such a way to have the "flat" edge of the hub perpendicular to the ground. Prying with a long screwdriver also helped.

Good luck! If I manage to do this again it will hopefully be in the daylight and I will take photos.

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
davida
First Name: david

Post by davida »

Hi Paul
Thanks for your reply. In the end I took off the rear hub. There is so little room between the backing plate and the leaf spring on the Bantam that only OE spanner can be used. Loosening the brake cable was also done.
One advantage of getting the thing off is that assembly can be done on the bench top. I found that the peg on the brake shoe that engages with the snail cam for adjusting the brake was bent and broke off when I tried to straighten it Some metal fatique . so am now waiting for new pegs to be made.
It is odd that the spring for the shoes is at the back of the shoes whereas on the 9hp Sports and the 12hp with the same design [but 10 inch drum] have the spring on the front of the shoes
David
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Yeah... I stopped trying to make sense of this stuff a long time ago ;)
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.