Petrol taps that don't leak

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Petrol taps that don't leak

Post by ColinB »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a petrol tap that doesn't leak? The original Enots one in my Six leaked like a sieve after the fuel ate the cork seal. So I bought an all brass one which has a tapered fit which in theory can be adjusted for tightness with an external nut, but after a few months with no problems it suddenly dumped a load of petrol out overnight and no matter what I do it still leaks. I think I'll move the tap into the engine compartment anyway as the petrol leaking into the cab has rotted some of the rubber on the footboards but I need one that doesn't leak so it isn't dropping fuel onto the hot exhaust when we are eventually on the road.
ColinB

Re: Petrol taps that don't leak

Post by ColinB »

I bought one of these which is compliant with the requirements of the UK Single Vehicle Approval checks. It has seals in it which is worth a try as the all brass metal to metal tap was hopeless.
tap.jpg
mothy
First Name: Roland

Post by mothy »

Had similar issues with two of my Austin Sevens.
Either the tap leaked, or became so stiff that damage was likely to the fuel tank where the outlet union is mounted.
I gave up on the push/pull with cork seals type.
The first lever action I tried, leaked and became stiff quite quickly. Ministrations with lapping the tapers helped for a while.
I then bought a brass lever action one from the motorcycle parts website faked.com and had no problem since. The biggest problem I find in getting a replacement is figuring out what the thread sizes are....
On the 1927 Chummy, this has a lever action brass tap which becomes horribly stiff. However instead of just a nut holding the taper lever in place, it’s a nut and spring. This allows one to push the lever a little out of its taper and spray duck oil in to the workings. Normal service is then resumed. I do not know where that tap came from, it is a replacement and not original.

Roly
-----------------------------------------------
Used to own a 1934 Singer Le Mans

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks Roly - I'm glad its not just me! I'm hoping that a modern tap will solve this permanently.
jeans_old_man
First Name: Brian

Post by jeans_old_man »

Hi Colin,
I'm sure Roly is referring to the vintage motorbike supplier 'feked.com' who seem to have every type of petrol tap imaginable, including some with Teflon seals. They also have some vintage-looking petrol hose and ferrules suitable for modern fuel.
Good luck
Brian
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks Brian, that is a good site. Is it run by Father Ted by any chance? :D