1950’s roadster

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Re: 1950’s roadster

Post by mikeyr »

tvdwerf wrote:Something else, is it possible to buy the copper identification plate somewhere new?
I have only one, the one for the 1950 car is missing.
An option is to make a copy from the 1951 one, and let them make a few more to keep the price low ;)
A few have been made in the past, I don't know of anyone who has some now, in the past they only made as many as they had commitments for.

On this page is a link to a very large TIF image of a brand new plate which you could use for your pattern.

http://www.singercars.com/4ax/index.html the image is near the bottom and if you click on it, you will get the full size image.

mike
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

David Z wrote:I have confirmed the transmission has all the gears and the differential is not making noise.
The parking brake is working but the rest of the brake system is frozen.
Will be sorting out that next I guess.
And I am unable to locate the second vin # on the right frame rail.
Might it be under a bracket or on the top of the frame rail?
The front brakes are Austin Healy, you can get rebuild kits or new cylinders. The rear brakes unfortunately have to be un-frozen, they were from the ugly ittle Austin's and they are even harder to find than the car. The master will have to be rebuilt, I don't know if kits are still available but Dave Green can help with that, if not, then sending it out for a stainless sleeve is a great idea and will come with new seals.

I have seen many 4AD's that did not have the vin on the frame until the frame was sandblasted, the stamping is usually not very deep.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Hi David,

The stamped serial number on the frame of the 4AD that I was part of restoring was on the right side (passenger side of a left hand drive car) just behind the front wheel. Our car (another 4AD) was a it on the rusty side and the stamping was pretty light so easy on the grinding in this area!

Enjoy,

Paul
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.