Pre War Singer Radiator information & Bicester

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Re: Pre War Singer Radiator information & Bicester

Post by ColinB »

I'll be thinking of you David. By the way the other useful expression for a happy marriage is 'I'm sorry Dear, its my fault..' . :D
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Shuttleworth is a MUST; it's so laid back for a museum in UK. They always tend to be so stuffy imho :roll:
Bill
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Yes I'm looking forward to it Bill. I also like Duxford for the same reason - the hangers operate in a very relaxed atmosphere and you can chat to the people restoring the planes. Also as an IWM member I have joined evening sessions where you can clamber into the land warfare vehicles. Its both fascinating and thought-provoking at the same time.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Shuttleworth was great - the best part for me was seeing and hearing really historic cars in action. Most were privately owned and my favourite ones were those that were clearly used and abused on a regular basis. Not all had name plates or and information and may have been specials from the period. the star of the car show was the Brooklands Napier that was lent by the Brooklands museum. This was very fast and made the most incredible sound, and best of all you could get up close and talk to the people who maintain it. There was a nice mix of young and old in the cars with dads and daughters and grandads and grandchildren all enjoying putting on a show, and owners of all the vintage cars there were very happy to talk about their restorations. The only downside was the catering with 30 yard queues for a cup of tea. I didn't stay for the whole air show in the afternoon as the cars were the main attraction for me, plus with the massive number of visitors I chose to leg it before the majority decided to leave.
Brasier.JPG
Brasier engine.JPG
Family fun.JPG
Scat with Grandson.JPG
Swift Anzani.JPG
Brooklands Napier.JPG
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Fantastic pics Colin - I agree with you..Shuttleworth is one of the best and we regularly visit on our way south to visit friends in Essex.
Seeing those photos - I must get back into the workshop....NOW :lol:
Bill
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

More pictures. I'm not sure what the vehicles are as there were no identifiers on them (other than the Bentley of course!).
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0030 (2).JPG
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0065 (2).JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

Hi Colin,

Clearly Shuttleworth is wonderful --something to behold.

Fortunately I've been able to attend the season opening Silverstone event of VSCC a couple of times. The cars in the members' parking lot are both so varied and so interesting that in one weekend there, one sees more wonderful cars than are readily found in the US in an entire season.

Shuttleworth looks like a destination that's well worthwhile.

Next time I'm in the UK, which I hope will be soon, I will make Shuttleworth one of our stops.

Thanks so much for having posted this double dip of photos and shared impressions. Gives one something to look forward to as driving season begins to wind down. Whimper. Sob.

Cheers,

David
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

I think I just made this place a destination next time I am in the UK...just don't know when that will be yet.
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I think the October Race Day is the one to go for as this is the main event for pre-war cars. Just a few more pictures of cars brought by visitors who were not displaying but simply using their cars to get to the event. I fell completely in love with the Talbot but unfortunately the owner was not around so I didn't have a chance to find anything out about it.
Pre war parking.JPG
Singer.JPG
Talbot.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
Aston.JPG
mikeC
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeC »

The Talbot is a 1933 105 model (3-litre, 6-cylinder) with Vanden Plas bodywork; thought to be one of nine cars fitted with this style of bodywork, three survivors.

1914 Saxon Model A; 1930 Morris Cowley; 1931 Austin Seven; 1953 Lancia Appia; 1967 Singer Chamois
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thanks for the information Mike. A very desirable car with great presence.
cdk84
First Name: David

Post by cdk84 »

I agree with Colin.

The Aston Martin Ulster (?) is also delightful to see.

Can't wait to get my passport updated...