4AD Thermostat?

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
ucantucan

4AD Thermostat?

Post by ucantucan »

I'm in the final stages of reassembling my engine and low and behold I can't seem to find a thermostat anywhere! Nor can I find a place to put one if I did find it. Does this engine (serial number 4AD 1606V) use a thermostat in the cooling system?

Also, all the books I have seem to show an different engine in the cut-a-way views. Are there any publications showing my engine?

Thanks

Greg Armstrong
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

Single carb ? or twin-carb ? Your serial number indicates Single carb.

Single carb 4AD's did not have thermostats, only the twin-carbs had t-stats.

Its a different elbow at the front of the motor and a different hose. Part number 20 on this page http://www.singercars.com/4ax/ptwo.html is different and houses the t-shart on the twin-carb cars.

Also have you downloaded http://www.singercars.com/4ax/motortrader.pdf yet, you should, page 4 explains that the only the twins had t-stats and that certainly should be your motor in that article.

Mike
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
BRG
First Name: Dave

Thermostat?

Post by BRG »

Mike you are right up to a point. Although the mini service manual states twin carb only. I have an issue of "Auto" December 1952 and an issue of "The Autocar" 1954 and both pictures of the engine show single carb and a thermostat water outlet housing. This leads to the question was the statement correct or did they put the thermostat housings on late 1952-55 4ADs regardless of carb type. How about some discussion from the forum users??
BRG :D :D :D
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
Paul Bouchard
First Name: Paul

Post by Paul Bouchard »

Thermostats, we don need no stinkin' thermostats!

Luckilly for us A & 10 guys, thermostats and water pumps are too far ahead in the future. Next thing you know there will be automatic gearboxes. I mean really!

Paul (livin' in the past) Bouchard
Paul Bouchard

President, NASOC
Nine Roadster Registrar

1948 A Series Roadster
1947 Super Ten Saloon
1935 Le Mans Super Speed Model

Just enjoying the ride.
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

4AD thermostat?

Post by Mark Thompson »

My 1952 4AD (1849V) came with an adapter plate in which the thermostat is mounted between the adapter plate and the engine block. The plate is about 3/4" thick and has a machined recess for the thermostat. My later model 1953 4ADT (2848W) however, came with a housing that was modified (probably by the dealer) for a heater installation. On that car, the thermostat was an in-line thermostat mounted in the radiator hose. That type of installation is always an easy option.