4AD Oil Flow through Filter

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Mark Thompson
First Name: Mark

4AD Oil Flow through Filter

Post by Mark Thompson »

Both of my 4ADs came with poorly fitted oil filter cartridges. I have been able to find the proper oil filter cartridges from three different manufacturers.
However, each filter comes with a different set of gaskets. This raised several questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. What exactly is the path that oil flows through the filter element and housing? There are two holes in the center stem of the housing that I can't figure out their purpose. Should the gaskets seal the filter cartridge at the top or bottom? Should the gaskets fit snug against the center stem or is clearance needed for oil flow? If the filter is not installed properly, it will be bypassed or totally ineffective. I wonder how many filters are installed improperly, considering all the potential for error.
BRG
First Name: Dave

Oil Filter

Post by BRG »

Mark,

The oil flows into the cannister through the element and then goes back to the sump. The need for changing oil to keep it clean is critical as this design is not a full flow filter ie all oil is NOT filtered before going to motor.
There are three holes in the tube. Also the original filter (M11) top had a small 1/16" hole in it. Why I don't know. I do not drill the plate for this hole.

I sell a conversion kit that uses 2 MGB filter plates reamed out to fit the cannister shaft and washers with seals along with an o-ring to fit the housing to can seal. The filter I use is a Sunbeam Alpine S1 filter. works okay. Other members have also done various adaptions.
NASOC Treasurer
NASOC 4AD Registrar
NASOC Parts Guy
Owner of a 1952 4AD, 1959 Singer Gazelle Estate, & 1959 Gazelle Convertible
CarMan35

Post by CarMan35 »

For anyone with his engine all apart, I am evaluating my plan for a full-flow oiling system. If it works well, it can be done without much expense. If you tip your block over, you can see how an oil line runs from the oil pump outlet to a flange surface, directing the oil upward into the oil gallery, and right past the passages to the original bypass filter housing. If the delivery pipe is cut below the flange, it is possible to install a 1/2-inch tube compression fitting elbow at that point (with a 1/2-inch female pipe thread outlet), and to direct its outlet toward the wall of the engine block. If a hole is drilled through the block wall, and the elbow is connected via a close nipple to a 1/2-inch pipe coupling, it is possible to seal the hole with a steel washer and a neoprene washer caught between the assembled pieces. This will result in a 1/2" pipe female fitting exiting the block, and carrying the full flow of the oil pump. Remote mount spin on oil filter brackets for Ford FL1A or Delco PF2 filters are available through sources such as NAPA. They hold the filter and provide 1/2" female pipe threaded inlets and outlets. and can be connected to the engine with prefabricated oil hoses having 1/2" male pipe ends. For the return circuit, I am thinking of making a machined plate that will bolt to the iriginal Singer bypass filter housing pad on the side of the black. This new plate would seal the pad and direct flow into the proper hole in the pad, and on to the oil gallery. The new plate would incorporate a boss with a female 1/2" pipe thread. The original flange boss on the inside of the cap would be closed off with a flat plate. If all of this works out, the oil will leave the pump, proceed through the modified outlet tube to and through the elbow/pipe coupling assembly, emerge through the block wall, run through a flex hose to the filter housing inlet, be filtered, then run back through a flex hose to an adapter plate on the old filter housing mounting pad, and into the oil gallery. By the way, the two filters listed, when purchased from WIX or Delco, now incorporate bypass relief valves that will protect your engine when the filter is clogged or for any reason there is over 8-11psi resistance to flow through the filter. It looks like this should work, but my engine is a long way from being assembled, so I won't know for a while, but I have already located most of the pieces and I intend to give this a try. Note that it might save money to use plain oil-rated hose connected and hose-clamped to slip-on barbed fittings at all inlets and outlets. John Slusar