New Project

For now, I lumped all the pre-war cars together, I would LOVE for there to be enough demand to split it into groups (hint...hint, post here about your pre-war Singer)
cdk84
First Name: David

Re: New Project

Post by cdk84 »

Hi Colin,

Once again, you are making landmark progress. What an inspiration!

When you have replacement bolts made to hold the leaf springs, can you have the machinist give a wee bit of a radius in the transition from the loaded portion of the bolt (we call it the shank, but you may have a different term for it) to the threaded bit? Even though the originals have lasted all this time, and Singer's metallurgy was not legendary for its quality, why repeat a stress riser when one can be eliminated with little to no extra effort or expense? (In my [outspoken] opinion, originality is wonderful and compelling (I'm working toward that on my own Nine Sports) ....until it flied in the face of advances in safety gleaned since the original design)

Look forward to seeing how it all comes together, just as it was exciting to see Little Bea's progress.

Very Best,

David
DarcyG
First Name: Darcy

Post by DarcyG »

Like others I admire what you have achieved. I am retired but still battle with broken orrigations systems, Rotary, grandchildren, holidays, wife, house repairs etc to get the time. I need a winter where we are locked in the house and there is nothing else to do. However sslow and steady pace will get me there. I hope!
ColinB
First Name: Colin

Post by ColinB »

Fortunately I am seeing Rob Roan's machinist on Monday David, so I will pass on your recommendations to him. I am really grateful for comments and advice, so please keep it coming. :D
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I took the bell housing off today. The clutch is very clean and there is evidence of unused clutch material, so I think I have been very lucky again. Well done Wayne Kerr! The only bits that need attention are the springs that return the clutch actuators to their resting position.

There is a piece broken off where the starter motor fits. I think someone had tried to prise the pinch bolt apart trying to release the motor without realising that there was a large tapered bolt that actually secured it. This is not big deal fortunately and I will just glue it in place. I always love finding numbers on things - the casting is number 496 and the steel gear stick assembly is number 18-258. I have no idea what this means but I like it just the same!

I will clean the bell housing and gearbox but I will leave it with its just-cast look with no shine. I am going to try chrome spray on the handbrake lever and gearstick as it gives a pretty good finish and is cheap! I will save my pennies for the really important bling on the rad surround, windscreen surround, front headlight support and bumpers which will be professionally chromed.

I have been looking at headlights and conclude that they are 8". My friend David has offered me 9" Rotax ones from a Riley but they are too big. I have won a single Rotax 8" on eBay so I'm now looking for its companion. Does anyone have one in a spares box somewhere?
Bell housing off.JPG
clutch material.JPG
Cracked housing.JPG
Danish
First Name: David

Post by Danish »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 14.51.12.png
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Nice car and could be a lot of fun! Unusual 4 cylinder side valve engine. There was no leaded fuel before the war so far as I know so presumably the reference to 'unleaded' refers to a later engine being installed?
mikeC
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeC »

The engine is from a Willys-Knight, probably a 1929 Model 56A.
1914 Saxon Model A; 1930 Morris Cowley; 1931 Austin Seven; 1953 Lancia Appia; 1967 Singer Chamois
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Chrome paint on the gearstick. The handbrake lever still has a little chrome left on it so I will leave that alone. I have also washed out the gearbox with paraffin and put some 140 gear oil in I had spare as a temporary measure. I will run it on something lighter. I still have to wash out the differential and fill that up. The stuff that came out was like treacle but at least is seems to have looked after the insides for over 40 years of inactivity. The technical desk at Millers suggested 90 oil for the gearbox and 140 for the back axle.
DSC_0008.JPG
telco.2
First Name: Bill

Post by telco.2 »

Looks good - instant patina!!
Bill
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Picked up the new rear springs yesterday. They look good and I'm very pleased with them. Tom says he will re-set them for free if they are too high or low for the car once it is fully loaded. I have mended the mechanical switch that stopped inadvertent use of reverse and the gearstick and handbrake are reunited with the gearbox. You can see the remaining chrome on the handbrake; I will leave this as homage to the age of the car. I bought some light Brunswick Green paint for the engine as it looked right, and trialled it on the starter motor - it is VERY green, so I'm not too sure...!
rear springs.JPG
gearbox.JPG
Green starter.JPG
robroan
First Name: Rob

Post by robroan »

Excellent work Colin, springs look good !
Jim was making the right noises about your machining request so expect a call !
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I'm moving things into the same place so I can see what I've done. All the running gear is about finished including front and rear dampers and I have made up a new battery tray which just needs painting. It is in a terrible place hung under the driver's seat so it has a hard life! Gearbox reassembled and all the gears engage and I have painted the pedals. Its raining so I may strip the engine for paint this afternoon and leave the hedging for another day...Tomorrow I have to go to work in London. :o
DSC_0004.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Couldn't live with the green! Fuel tank assembly, engine and starter painted in a nice sensible black. I'm using modern paint for these items as the main objective is protection. When I get on to the body it will be cellulose.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0005 (2).JPG
DSC_0007 (2).JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I had a spare moment today so I repaired the oil filler with an epoxy compound. It isn't a perfect job but it looks better than it did before and I doubt if it will be inspected in detail very often. It looks suspiciously like the radiator cap from my Junior, so I presume Singer were standardising components where possible.
Oil cap repair.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Cleaned off the manifolds today ready for paint and I'll clean the carburettor tomorrow if I get the chance. I have also cleaned and painted the very curious accelerator pedal. This is a rotating 'egg' of aluminium attached to a lever (between the clutch and the brake of course) which, on being pushed with the foot, will actuate further levers attached to the engine block to open the throttle. I found some rather hardened rubber doughnuts (UK spelling!) that I take to be the old engine mounts together with a single unused one. I have ordered some rubber sheet with which to make new ones so I can drop the engine back in the chassis.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG