Side mirrors

The 4A, 4AB, 4AC, 4AD cars, including the SM 1500 Roadster and SMX
Steve

Side mirrors

Post by Steve »

FYI: I know that these mirrors are not "original equipment" and would not pass the test in restoration competition but they are going to work just fine for my 4AD driver. The are universal replacement motorcycle mirrors from J.C. Whitney company. They are quite well made with good chrome and the threaded ends are 10mm x 1.25 metric. The mirror heads are 4" diameter. The threaded ends will go through the slotted hole of the windscreen pivot and fasten with a 10mm nut on the inside. I happen to have a couple of 10mm castle nuts which look nice. The only disadvantage is the windscreen cannot be pivoted down completely with the mirrors in place. The price is very good at $9.95 for a pair. Here is the link to the mirrors in the catalog. Part no. ZX063593N
http://www.jcwhitney.com/REPLACEMENT-MI ... _10111.jcw
Attachments
mirror2.jpg
mirror1.jpg
fly4ad
First Name: Frederick

Re: Side mirrors

Post by fly4ad »

Good Day All,
While doing research of this subject, I saw this post from way back and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the proper side view mirror configuration for my 1952 4AD. I see photos of wing mounted mirrors, and I see windscreen mounted mirrors like the pics above. Which is correct and where might I purchase something suitable (if available)? Any pictures of the OEM configuration would also be great!
Thanks again for all the help!
Fred
mikeyr
Site Admin
First Name: Mike

Post by mikeyr »

There are no great detailed pictures on the site that I can find, but pictures in the Singer Gallery (which needs MANY more pictures by the way, hint, hint) 6, 10, 12, 13, 27 show original side mirrors. Picture 27 is the most detailed, remember that you can click on the pictures to increase their size and these are quite large in "full size", unfortunately, the person who sent me pict. 27 only sent me a small pic. I have to depend on non-club members to send me pics of Stowe since the club officers and members don't and I don't always get large images.

***edit, oh yeah, these are in the Gallery for Stowe since many people don't click around the site and know the image gallery exists http://gallery.singercars.com/index.php/Stowe-2011 or http://gallery.singercars.com/ ***end edit
Mike Rambour. Site Administrator
1953 Singer 4ADT (sold), 1934 Singer 9 Le Mans, 1934 Singer 1 1/2 4-Seater Sports (sold), 2009 BMW K1300GT
DGreen
First Name: D'Arcy

Post by DGreen »

Some of the best photos of the rectangular side mirrors are the vintage photos with Marilyn Monroe or Donald O'Connor. They are good quality images that can blown up and clearly show the mirrors. Also, some of the vintage racing pictures and dealer pictures that Peter has posted in the past show the mirrors in good detail. I have the disassembled pieces for a couple of sets that I can photograph for you if need more detail. Unfortunately, I don't have the arm that extends from the windscreen that holds them.

D'Arcy
DGreen

Post by DGreen »

Here are a couple of photos of the Raydyot side rectangular mirrors that appear in many period photos of 50s Singers. They have curved glass, a black body with a separate silver coloured "Raydyot" medallion off to one side, and a chrome bezel. Other variants had the logo stamped into them. I think they are fairly easy to find on eBay. In fact, there are a couple of similar ones on eBay (UK) right now.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Thanks for the pictures, now I know exactly what to look for! :P Might you have a photo of the fitting that fits onto the windscreen frame? This may be a part that I have to make unless someone out there might have a spare! Which brings up another question: Did the 4AD come with one on each side, or just one on the drivers side?
Thanks again for the photos!
Fred
DGreen

Post by DGreen »

Every picture that I've ever seen from the 1950s, including dealer advertisements, show either no side mirror at all or just one on the driver's side. Lots of restored cars have them on both sides for safety reasons. Unfortunately, I don't have the chrome bracket that bolts to the windscreen supports, or the arm that the mirror bolts to. The arm looks just like something from a motorbike and the bracket could be fabricated fairly easily, if you can't find one.

D'Arcy
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Thanks for the info D'Arcy! I've actually purchased some mirrors, but will have to fabricate a bracket to mount to the windscreen. After receiving them and taking a close look, defects on the mirror surface has forced me to return them------back to the UK. :roll:

As for an update on the project, the car is now at the upholstery shop and should be ready to bring back home within a few weeks. If you're interested, I have updated and added more photos to my restoration web site at http://www.1952singer.weebly.com
DGreen

Post by DGreen »

Your car looks great! If those other cars in the background are yours,too, then I think we have similar interests. I've always like the Daimler sp250 and the Auto Union 1000sp. I've got a DKW Junior and DKW 3=6 Universal (station wagon).
fly4ad

Post by fly4ad »

Unfortunately they are not my cars. They were inventory that was being liquidated at the classic car dealer/restoration shop in New Jersey that was closing it's doors. They definitely had some cool stuff on hand that was up for grabs! I bought the Singer on EBay and flew up to NJ to take a look and close the deal. I had planned on trailering the car back the following week but decided to have it shipped at the last minute. That was over 5 years ago! I was the lucky guy that walked away with the diamond in the rough! :shock: